Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Landrover dash electronics haywire,

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Landrover dash electronics haywire,

Hello,
I am an aspiring mechanic on my mothers land-rover, I have basic skills in electrical and mechanical engineering, however i cannot for the life of me figure out why on this Land Rover Defender (TDI) 1995 the indicators are not working, or they work sporadically. I can get them to work if i turn the hazards on and then flip the indicator switch right after, but it seems the indicators cut off again after a while. Has anybody else encountered this problem on their Landi? I opened the dash cover to take took a look, nothing i could immediately recognize at fault, so i thought it best first to inquire here before i started opening up more things..
also, half of the car info dials on the dash don't work, but ill get into that later...

Thank you
mal

Old 12-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Mal,

(Presuming you are in USA) I would say start documenting for lemon law, but because it is a used (CPO), you cannot use this. Is the dealer covering these repairs, diagnosis, etc. under the CPO warranty, or are you paying for it?

Consider consulting with a local attorney if this starts going south IE: they cannot fix the car. To me it sounds like the owner from new experienced issues with the car and did not want to keep it, and you have now inherited some of that.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

DavC it is a 1995 I doubt any of that would apply

4 ways if memory serves are run through the turn signal switch. I would get my voltmeter out and start there

Old 12-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DavC
Mal,

(Presuming you are in USA) I would say start documenting for lemon law, but because it is a used (CPO), you cannot use this. Is the dealer covering these repairs, diagnosis, etc. under the CPO warranty, or are you paying for it?

Consider consulting with a local attorney if this starts going south IE: they cannot fix the car. To me it sounds like the owner from new experienced issues with the car and did not want to keep it, and you have now inherited some of that.
Weird. Yeah this reply was for a thread in the Discovery 5 section... Not sure how it got here!

Old 12-28-2018, 11:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by sprocketrocket
Hello,
I am an aspiring mechanic on my mothers land-rover, I have basic skills in electrical and mechanical engineering, however i cannot for the life of me figure out why on this Land Rover Defender (TDI) 1995 the indicators are not working, or they work sporadically. I can get them to work if i turn the hazards on and then flip the indicator switch right after, but it seems the indicators cut off again after a while. Has anybody else encountered this problem on their Landi? I opened the dash cover to take took a look, nothing i could immediately recognize at fault, so i thought it best first to inquire here before i started opening up more things..
also, half of the car info dials on the dash don't work, but ill get into that later...

Thank you
mal
The hazard circuit and the turn signals are wired in a strange way on these cars, sometimes using both at the same time blows the fuse. The loops are wired together by side, so if the issue is with both left and right hand sets you have an issue elsewhere, potentially with either your switch assembly or the relay.

try checking fuses for both sides and the hazard for damage, slow blow, then try swapping out the turn signal switch assembly and or the relay (if you have a friend with a spare one you don't have to buy the part to test, or just buy one and test).