Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Quick question... Common problems on PUMA Defenders

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:55 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question... Common problems on PUMA Defenders

HI All,

Just want to ask a quick question on what the common problems for the PUMA defenders.

Any answers is very much appreciated.

Red

(P/s I am going thru the forum)

Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Are you asking about common criticisms or common breakdowns?

The common criticisms include:

The door seals don't work, expect lots of dust compared to a Land Cruiser for example.

The rear door opening is narrow and the rear door doesn't swing open all the way so it's difficult to use all around.

They deleted the vents under the front windscreen so you're more dependent on AC which is less ideal if you have to exit the vehicle often

The hill descent and anti-stall features conflict and fail to bring it down a steep slope gracefully.

No lockers. The Land Cruiser and Wrangler Unlimited have factory options.

The visibility from the rear (2nd row) seats (on the 110) is poor as the passengers' heads are well above the top of the window frame. You have to bend your head to see out the window.

They fail a number of safety standards for both the occupants and pedestrians.

Now for a bit of my own opinion:

The Defender has a controversial or poor image. It is only slightly less "imperial" than an American Humvee. It is essentially a military vehicle, and one that is associated with oppression and occupation by military police states. I'm not intending this as a political criticism. On the contrary, I don't wish to make a political statement at all. But the Defender can make that difficult. It is essentially militarized by its image that is nearly identical to the Wolf, and inextricably associated with certain political forces. The closely-related Series Land Rover is considerably less so, particularly the Series II and I. But to avoid this image entirely, the Range Rover and Discovery offer the same chassis without that image. The Range Rover has it's own image issues however. In my opinion, the early Series and Discovery are both the most benign and modest.

Last edited by binvanna; 12-08-2014 at 11:01 AM.