Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Tires for 110er?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires for 110er?

Hi,
i am new to Land Rover and got new 110SW.

It came with Cooper S/T 255/75/16". So far i am happy with them but do you think they are good tires for me?
I will drive it 90% on street and 10% on shalow muds and wet leaves (woods).
Can you recommend some better tires for me if those are not good?

I need same for whole year. Winter is not hard here, but often on border of freezing/iced roads.

Thank You!
Nikky

p.s. i love this beast :-D

Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Consider a 265/75/16 for that big kid, one with a heavy side wall. I know this may sound like over kill, but look into the Green Diamond tires, there are a number of people running these on the 110's here in Colorado and they are to die for, a little pricy but traction that won't quit and they are a good 50,000 mile tire.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:50 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Consider a 265/75/16 for that big kid, one with a heavy side wall. I know this may sound like over kill, but look into the Green Diamond tires, there are a number of people running these on the 110's here in Colorado and they are to die for, a little pricy but traction that won't quit and they are a good 50,000 mile tire.
Disco Mike... thank you very much for the kind endorsement of Green Diamond Tires. You are a class act! Believe it or not, although i have owned my D110 since new in 1992, this is my very first visit to this forum. The fuel pump issue is my 1st post and one reason you have not seen me out on the Colorado trails yet this year. While i extend a 10% discount to Solihull Society membership, perhaps i should also consider advertising with this forum and extending a similar discount.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Hey Rich,
I didn't realize this was you!!!
Well, I know Dee and a few others just swear by these tires, our mutual mechanic, up in Evergreen has never seen anything like them.
Dee and a few of us went to the ice races in Georgetown and he just wiped my but with his Green Diamonds and he is not an agressive driver. Had a number of Jeepers, stop over and talk with us, many had heard of these but after getting a chance to watch us on the ice, they were really impressed.
Look forward to seeing more of you out on the trail, are you going to LeadVille?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Hey Rich,
I didn't realize this was you!!!
Well, I know Dee and a few others just swear by these tires, our mutual mechanic, up in Evergreen has never seen anything like them.
Dee and a few of us went to the ice races in Georgetown and he just wiped my but with his Green Diamonds and he is not an agressive driver. Had a number of Jeepers, stop over and talk with us, many had heard of these but after getting a chance to watch us on the ice, they were really impressed.
Look forward to seeing more of you out on the trail, are you going to LeadVille?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sn1987
Hi,
i am new to Land Rover and got new 110SW.

It came with Cooper S/T 255/75/16".
First. welcome to the world of Land Rovers.
Can you check that size again. The S/T's don't come in LT255/75R16.

LT235/85R16 or LT265/75R16 S/T's would be a good fit for a 110 based on what you say your planned use is. The 85's being a bit narrower, closer to a 7.50R16 which is stock on the 110 with steel wheels. Personally I prefer narrower tires, but it's really personal preference, though the narrower tire is less likely to negatively impact your turning radius, which sucks on Land Rovers to start with.

There's nothing wrong with the Cooper S/T's, a lot of people rave about them. I used to run 7.50x16 Cooper STT's and really liked them.
People also really like the Green Diamond, though there are mixed opinions about running retreads on your steering tires.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you have LT255/85R16's since they are a little taller than stock and rarely do I see people go smaller than stock.
In any case, if you like what you have, and don't need new tires, I see no reason to change size or brand/tread pattern.

edited to change "recap" to "retread"

Last edited by antichrist; 07-15-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default point of clarification

I take mild issue with 'antichrist's comment inferring that the Green Diamond Tire (GDT) is a 'recap'. The GDT is actually a bead-to-bead 'remold'... meaning the rubber veneer applied to sidewall and the tread material depth build-up are all pre-cured, non-vulcanized specially formulated rubber. Once a GDT casing is fully prepped it is then heat cured in a segmented mold/press... using technology more akin to new tire manufacture than to the 'recap' or 'retread' industry.

A final clarification regarding running GDTs on a steering axle... in the OTR commerce and commercial trucking world, not running retreaded tires on the steering axle is the norm and is regulated. The necessity of this restriction is debatable, but it is what it is. GDTs radial tires are built for only passenger and light truck-class applications. There are no restrictions to running GDTs on all four corners of your vehicle. I have run GDTs on my D110 on very aggressive rocky Colorado trails since 2004 without incident.

I appreciate the opportunity to comment on, and clarify this subject. Thx. ~rich

Old 07-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you everybody for comments.

They are in fact 255/70/R16. It was a misread from photo i had with me. They are smaller then stock because i though for driving on road it should be better and it fits in garages better too.
I read that they are not good in snow or ice, that is what a little concerns me, also not sure about mileage and longer drives on highway (at about 130kmh) (they look SO OFFROADY!). Noise i am happily living over because they look cool.

Nicole

Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by gdtna
I take mild issue with 'antichrist's comment inferring that the Green Diamond Tire (GDT) is a 'recap'.
You're more than welcome to, but I was using the term in the generic sense, that they aren't new tires.
http://www.retread.org/packet/index.cfm/ID/30.htm
I'm more than happy to use the term "retread" instead of "recap".

[/QUOTE]There are no restrictions to running GDTs on all four corners of your vehicle.
I appreciate the opportunity to comment on, and clarify this subject. Thx. ~rich[/QUOTE]Not sure you clarified it or muddied it. There are, in fact, mixed opinions about running them on steering axles. Just like I said. I never mentioned, nor even implied, there were regulations prohibiting it. I know people run them on the front, and I know people who won't do it.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by sn1987
I read that they are not good in snow or ice, that is what a little concerns me, also not sure about mileage and longer drives on highway (at about 130kmh) (they look SO OFFROADY!). Noise i am happily living over because they look cool.
Ah, ok. I didn't understand that it was the winter use that was of particular concern.
Here is a link showing tires that meet the winter use criteria:
http://www.rubberassociation.ca/wint...l#winterTire04
These are the tires that, in certain areas, you're required to have chains if you're not running one on the list.

Are you thinking of replacing them, or mounting on another set of wheels?
True winter tires will typically not last as long as "summer" tires so I would suggest another set of wheels with winter tires on them if that's a major concern for you. Then just run the Coopers S/T's until they need replacing, in the meanwhile researching what you want to get as a replacement.

Last edited by antichrist; 07-15-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Tires for 110er?