Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Tires for 110er?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because of budget i need some tires for whole year, S/T's have M+S rating and it is all i need to be allowed to go anywhere here in Europe. I was thinking about replacing them for some more universal (but for example a bit worse in offroad) while they are not much driven on...
I mean how bad they can be on ice, it cannot be worse then some FWD crap car, so maybe they are just not "as good as in mud" but still better then half of the world? I have not much experience there...
I drove with 4x4 before on some normal All season tires pretty fine but not sure how ok it is on landy and those i have now... I just want to be able to climb up wet ice street in small hill and drive it down slow but safe.

Also would welcome comments about driving such tires on highways (my trips should be about 5-6000km mostly on road) because i have landy darling as only car

Last edited by sn1987; 07-15-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, I'd just keep what you have and see how they do this winter. Maybe set aside some money in case you find out they suck in the places you go and you need to get different tires.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Mudding

thank You, i guess thats what i will do.

any comment about using such tires on highway (isnt it dangerous, overheating, etc) and their mileage?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Baja

Well, "traction" tires don't provide as much traction as pavement only tires (assuming same sizes) since there isn't as much rubber on the road. But here in the US Defenders came stock with a very similar tread pattern, the BFG AT KO.
They also don't usually last as long as a quality street tire. I can't really comment on how long your Coopers will last. I've never used that specific tire on a LWB.
They won't overheat or be dangerous if run at proper inflation.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Mudding

how do i know the proper inflation? My previous car had it written on doors from behind, but those are aftermarket tires and not sure how to inflate it... On cooper website it is also not written...

Also i found a small bulb on the side, is it normal on such balloon tires? It is not big, barely visible, just a bit not straight when looked sharp from behind. The tires are fully new and it is only on one tire.

but they look awesome, dont they :-)

Last edited by sn1987; 07-16-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding proper inflation

I also have the Cooper S/T tire. The side of the tire says 65PSI. Can someone please tell me what the correct inflation is for these tires?
thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Baja

65 psi is the max pressure and maximum load. Best way to tell proper inflation is to mark the tire tread with chalk or something like that, and roll the vehicle forward. At proper inflation you'll have an contact patch that's even all the way across.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sn1987
how do i know the proper inflation? My previous car had it written on doors from behind, but those are aftermarket tires and not sure how to inflate it... On cooper website it is also not written...

Also i found a small bulb on the side, is it normal on such balloon tires? It is not big, barely visible, just a bit not straight when looked sharp from behind. The tires are fully new and it is only on one tire.

but they look awesome, dont they :-)

If you have a small bubble, at least take it in and let them look at it.
As for air pressure, somewhere between 35 and 40 usually works great with a heavy walled 32" tire on out $5000# trucks, go under and loose mileage, get closer to 40 and get better gas mileage and wear.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:06 AM
Mudding

ok, thank You, that idea with chalk is a good one

Old 07-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Mudding

tried to hard brake and steer on test track for wet /snowy road (it is basically glass like surface, wet to test car handling in local drive school). And i decided to keep them. It is very rough handling of Landy on that but they brake and hold reasonably well. I even stopped earlier then passat with cheapo summer tires. And i love how much they grab dry surface too. Will see how long they last, but if i can keep them over 40000km i will rebuy them even though they are noisy a bit.

Quick Reply: Tires for 110er?