Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Window channel - replacement parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 03:10 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window channel - replacement parts

Hello there,

I was looking to swap out the door locks on my 1995 Land Rover Defender 300TDi. It's an old machine. I got the locks done. However once I had taken the door cards off I inspected the door interiors. Yes there was a little rust but still OK I suppose. I'll treat and wax what I can get too before I put the cards back on. The only real problem is the window channels (with the fuzz in) that are completely rusted out. I guess it's part numbers MXC5829 (front door front channel) & MXC5836 (front door rear channel) & MXC5832 (front door top channel). I can sort of find the parts online however the cost is like 50£ a door + P&P! I don't want to just throw money (I haven't really got) at problems I have.

So here is my question : What other sourcing can I use to replace these window channels? I mean like they are only flimsy metal U sections with some sort of lining right. All sliding windows use this system. I'm sure the exact same section or part is used in other vehicles. So does anyone have any ideas or experience?

Cheers,
Mark.

Old 01-16-2022, 07:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

Whatever you do, don't use the felt/metal U channel.It is utter garbage and quickly returns to the hard rattling version it was before you replaced it. Get some of this rubber U channel. It is a very quiet and functional replacement. While you have the felt channels out and before you put in the rubber. Pay attention to the condition of the window frame. There is frequently a bit of rust and a lot of dust and such under it. Clean and treat before you put in the channel.

Use this stuff:
Rubber on Amazon Rubber on Amazon