Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Engine wash help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine wash help

I have had my 99' Disco 2 since last year, and it was NOT maintained well. This is something I have been tackling since, and now I would like to pressure wash the engine compartment. Is this adviceable? Should I look out ofr anything in particular? Any ideas / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you most likely need more work than just a clean engine compartment. you can wash it just be careful of the fuse box, someone just has some problems when washing theirs and they hit the fuse box... what is the mileage on your disco? check out disco mikes 60k service sticky in the disco section. also check out the website in my signature. you are not far from me at all.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Mudding

yes clean that engine! i always clean mine. its easier to see stuff and know what to fix and easier to work on. i use engine bright. get it for like 6 bucks a can. i haven't done the landy yet but on other cars i use bags and rubber bands to block and cover the intake and distributor any wires you feel are less then water proof anything exposed etc. spray it down liberally, wait 15 min. then hose off all that grime.

don't just spray water with high pressure! if you need to do another application do it that way. start your engine and let it run for 15 min. to dry up everything

Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Drifting

I've got 111k on it, and I replaced the intake gaskets 3 weeks ago. They were leaking onto the O2 sensors and burning them out. I still have some grime on the engine as well as dust and I hate looking at it, so I want to make sure there are no other surpises under there. Thanks for the bag and rubber bands suggestion. Should I cover the starter as well? I planned on using an engine cleaner, but was not sure if it could be washed away with water afterwards. Thanks again.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go to a self cleaning car wash, use as little de-greaser as possible, only on the bad areas, not on anything electrical and power scrub the engine with cols water only.
I do my 99 D2 once a month or more, depending on how often I hit the trails.
Thisis a safe thing to do on a D2 but not on a D1.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Drifting

Westchester is only a short drive away. From time to time, work takes me up there. I found a place here in queens that lifts the vehicle to clean the whole undercarriage, so I went to find out if they could do this for me, but they said there was a danger of bursting the suspension bags. At the mear mention of this, I jumped back in and drove off. My question relates to the employee's comment as well as the following quote from the RAVE manual:

WARNING: Ensure the air suspension system is
made safe before commencing work. Otherwise
the chassis may lower onto the bump stops
during repair.

How is it that the air system is "made safe"?Is this something I can do myself? They onle charge $30, and they will clean the engine compartment for me along with the undercarriage. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You can crawl under and degrease and power scrub the under carraige easily. The engine on a D2 will take all the water you can throw at it, D 1's cant.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Hi,
Mike is right. I wash my D2 twice a year. I dont use it off road, just to remove salt sprays and dirt buildup. I use a gunk remover spray and power wash the engine compartment. No issues yet. Do not power wash the radiator grill, i screwed up once.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the input. I found a place out on the Island and cleaned up a whole lotta $#!* in the engine compartment. I actually thought it would be harder. I've got 115k on the truck now, and I'm waiting for warmer weather to do Mike's 60k sevice. I HATE WORKING OUT IN THE COLD!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you missed we had that one warm day last week! i was out there swappin fluids and greasin my drive shaft.

Quick Reply: Engine wash help