Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

turtle wax ICE

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: turtle wax ICE

ORIGINAL: tads
Insulator Wax (Collenite #845) is in fact a terriffic product. We've sold Collenite products for years and have been very pleased with using them as well. I have it on my 96 Disco and it has held up for the entire summer so far which has been one of the hottest on record. I highly recommend it. That is unless you don't like easy on/hard off products.

Cheers!
I purchased Mother's a week ago, and applied it today. I don't know why I've been using turtle wax. Mother's is very concentrated, very solid, goes on like you would expect a polish to. Comes off with a shine, but left a sort of greasy feel to the car... I'm going to use the Mother's for a while then buy some collenite.

Don't bother buying turtle wax because it is cheaper. A can of Mother's or real wax goes way longer than turtle wax.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True waxes are almost impossible to find these days. Most, if not all, manufacturers sell 'waxes' when the product actually only contains a small - very small - fraction of real wax. (Ex: Carnuba)

My opinion: If you want a real protective coating, then forget wax. Go sealant! After you polish your car - that is, you remove minor imperfections whether my chemical removal or abbrasive - apply a polymer sealant. You can find one online. Try out Details Plus. They have a terriffic paint sealant.

Years ago paint sealants were a bunch of whoie because manufacturers were again promising lies about 3-5 year protections. Professionals saw through it and never bought them. But time proved that the paint sealants do indeed provide superior protection. A typicall paint sealant will last 6-8 months when applied correctly and with regular maintenance. The strongest pure wax on the market today will only last 4-6 weeks! Even in the best of circumstances.

Again, what you find at an auto parts store shelf is good... but it is what it is: over-the-counter products aimed at retail customers with little or no professional experience with auto paints and surfaces. Therfore the products are often weaker that pro strength and filled with additives that provide 'eye candy' for un-weary consumers. Be cautious and do lots of research.

Cheers!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Overlanding

I religiously use Meguiars Paint Care System and Mothers Back to Black trim care.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing Turtle Wax is good for is their consentrated 3X car wash soap. Its the best I have used, thier was is just junk. The worst car wash I have ever used is ArmorAll, it was terrible. I have never heard of collenite, but is sounds pretty good, I think I will try that next time. I recently did the hood with a clay bar it it turned out great, I am about to do the entire truck soon.

What is the difference between a Clay bar and a Wax? Does it have different effects on the outcome, or do they do completly differnt jobs.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:29 PM
4th Gear

I am a big fan of collinite insulator wax as the leather cleaner, i spilled red cream soda on my LR3's alpaca beige leather and it stained, but then i found the collinite line of products and love them.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM
5th Gear

it was crap.