Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

[HELP] Transmission Oil Cooler Line

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default [HELP] Transmission Oil Cooler Line

Today I noticed a coolant leak and after looking closer I saw it was a line that connects from the radiator to the transmission oil cooler. This line looks like this:

It is on the driver side. One end connects to the radiator underneath the top rubber hose (The really thick one) and the other end connects to the driver side of the transmission oil cooler. I think it's leaking from the rubber hose part but I'm not positive since it's all grimy. Do you think I can get this locally at Oreilly, Autozone, NAPA, or anywhere? I can't seem to find it but I just wanted to ask before I ordered the part.

EDIT:

I think it's called the Transmission Oil Cooler Line to Oil Cooler Line Pipe. I swear it's connected to the radiator though..

Last edited by calebbo; 04-07-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes it is connected to the radiator, inside the radiator is a cooler for the transmission oil and another one on the other side for the engine oil.
There is a kit on e-bay for all three trans oil cooler lines.
Replace all three.
If you take yours off you can have a new one made locally.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See attached for drawing of the tranny ccoler side of the radiator, and yes, you could have a coolant leak around the fitting that the tranny lines screw into. Being a copper and brass radiator, it can be soldered up by indy rad shop. I had a similar leak. Inside those lines is ATF at 100 PSI +, so if you see coolant (and no red ATF fluid), it is not the line or any O-ring associated with it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 tranny cooling.pdf (847.5 KB, 569 views)
Old 04-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well coolant is leaking out only, I was going to take it to NAPA and see if they had something similar. So are you saying there is nothing wrong with the line or O-ring since I see no Transmission Fluid?

Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine were rusted out. I got the whole set of tranny from Lincoln at rover bone for like $60 shipped

Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Tranny fluid at that point is under pressure, per past rebuilder "Higgs Bosun" and others. At 100 - 150 PSI, vs maybe 10 - 15 PSI of coolant pressure, won't be much of a fight if tranny fluid is squirting out. Now the tranny cooler section of the radiator is inside that "tank" on the driver's side. You can remove rad, take to small indy shop in your area (look for one that does truck, bus, construction, and farm equipent). They can re-solder it, actually un-solder the tank, to work from both sides, and while you are at it, hot acid flush and rod out old calcium from well water and tap water used by previous owners. Should be less thatn $100 carry in. Don't drop off at Posh Radiator Shoppee, Inc,; where they price by the msrp of the vehicle.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are barking up the wrong tree. None of the lines you pictured carry coolant. They carry only ATF, if ATF isn't leaking they are fine.

You stated it's coolant, probably the upper hose at the radiator and running down.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

LOL!!!
Man did I read that wrong, I saw "leak" and "trans cooler" and ASSumed it was a leaking trans cooler line.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could get a pressure tester to see if it is leaking from the radiator or from what hose.... They rent them from auto zone for $50 but you get the $50 back when you return it!

Old 04-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

The tranny cooler fitting bung is soldered into the radiator tank. It could leak coolant if fractured or pin hole in joint. Of course Higgs is correct that the upper hose clamp is far more likely, and the pressure tester will tell the tale.

Quick Reply: [HELP] Transmission Oil Cooler Line