Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1990 Discovery help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1990 Discovery help

hiya all,
Hoping someone can assist with advice/perspectives.
As far as joining new forums go, I hope I don't screw up with etiquette too much. I can get technical with pro photography but as for vehicles...sigh.

What I have: a green 1990 Discovery, 2.5tdi, 250,000miles (accdg. to the owner's wife).
Runs well, needs minor repairs (fan belt, needs AC installed, minor fender damage). Has airbags installed. safety Devices roof rack. Kille heating system.
Thing is - its in Berlin, Germany. I'm now getting info from registered importers. Can be delivered to the nearest port for shipping.

The few times I've ridden a Land Rover has always been a really enjoyable experience, even the safari-type Defenders in African bush.
But the main reason I have it was to help a friend out financially in a time of need - so now I own it.

I'm semi-aware that its a hassle getting it here, and that I might be looking at higher-than-average maintenance headaches - but hey, I already own it, and I do love LR.

Any thoughts, advice, I-told-you-sos, recommends for mechanics, registered importers (NY, NJ east Coast) would be highly appreciated.
Many thanks for listening.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

I can't imagine it is worth the hassle. I'd try to sell it on the Euro version of Craigs list of ebay motors.

http://fahrzeuge.shop.ebay.de/Automo...=p3286.c0.m282

Last edited by WaltNYC; 08-16-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ocarlo
hiya all,
Hoping someone can assist with advice/perspectives.
As far as joining new forums go, I hope I don't screw up with etiquette too much. I can get technical with pro photography but as for vehicles...sigh.

What I have: a green 1990 Discovery, 2.5tdi, 250,000miles (accdg. to the owner's wife).
Runs well, needs minor repairs (fan belt, needs AC installed, minor fender damage). Has airbags installed. safety Devices roof rack. Kille heating system.
Thing is - its in Berlin, Germany. I'm now getting info from registered importers. Can be delivered to the nearest port for shipping.

The few times I've ridden a Land Rover has always been a really enjoyable experience, even the safari-type Defenders in African bush.
But the main reason I have it was to help a friend out financially in a time of need - so now I own it.

I'm semi-aware that its a hassle getting it here, and that I might be looking at higher-than-average maintenance headaches - but hey, I already own it, and I do love LR.

Any thoughts, advice, I-told-you-sos, recommends for mechanics, registered importers (NY, NJ east Coast) would be highly appreciated.
Many thanks for listening.
You cannot import a discovery of that year. They have to be 25 years or older, and there aren't any yet. To import a car that is less than 25 years old into the US it has to be on a list of approved vehicles. Most of the rovers on that list are Defenders.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Three Wheeling

I just found out the info I got was inaccurate.
The Disco is actually 1997, not 1990.
The importer I emailed said it had to be a 1994 Discovery and above to be importable, and the 1997 Disco is on the approved list.
This one does have airbags, so perhaps its EPA and DOT-friendly...

thanks for the heads up about the Craigslist - I may yet find myself there,
if this all proves too much.

one thing though: is the diesel engine enough of a reason? Are diesel mpg that much better than gasoline? Would there be a market for a diesel engine here?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone here dreams of diesel, but they are rare and an engine swap is not economical. But the question is, is it in decent shape its of no use to anyone if its crap, and is it worth the cost of shipping. I don't know but I would imagine that for the price of shipping you could by one here. So you would never recoup your money reselling, or plan b move to Germany.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Three Wheeling

thanks for all the inputs.
I checked with an importer, and its roughly $1500 to ship it over.
As I'm already down 3 grand, and even if I spent a few grand, it'd still be under
10grand to drive a strong diesel LR.
So, in theory, its still kinda worth it, I think

Old 08-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, it better be cheap to fix - since you will save about 10 cents a mile diesel vs gas, if you spend $10K total, and could have had a $3k Disco here, you'll have to put around 70,000 miles on that diesel demon that already has 250K on it. To break even.

Now that is not to say that diesels can't have extremely long lives - one Mercedes taxi in Athens, Greece did like 2.8 million miles on one chassis - but he had three engines he kept rebuilding and rotating - 11 engine swaps.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ocarlo
I just found out the info I got was inaccurate.
The Disco is actually 1997, not 1990.
The importer I emailed said it had to be a 1994 Discovery and above to be importable, and the 1997 Disco is on the approved list.
This one does have airbags, so perhaps its EPA and DOT-friendly...

thanks for the heads up about the Craigslist - I may yet find myself there,
if this all proves too much.

one thing though: is the diesel engine enough of a reason? Are diesel mpg that much better than gasoline? Would there be a market for a diesel engine here?
The 1997 might be a little easier. The 300TDI was EPA approved for the NAS 1993 defender 110, but was never actually used. Even with an approved vehicle they say it is still expensive to pay the importer to convert and certify it. If it all works out for you, please let us know some actual figures.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you have the money, and can have it imported, do so. You can likely get back what you've spent, and then some if you sell it here. There's quite the market for them.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Pro Wrench

Ok you are right 4500 for a diesel rover is good, go for it

Quick Reply: 1990 Discovery help