Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1997 Land Rover Discovery Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 10:08 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I am thinking the same thing. I just left it all unplugged for about 8 hours and came back and tried to start it. No sound at all from the fuel pump when key is in pos2, but the relay is still clicking.

I guess the final test would be to check the voltage getting to the fuel pump to make sure it is within spec. Does anyone know which wire carries the 12v that powers the pump and how I could possible "jump" or hardwire that to the battery so I can fully rule out the relay?

Old 12-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you pulled the access panel off so you can get to the Fuel Pump?

Mine had a bad crack on the top of the fuel pump assembly where the lines come thru the top. The plastic was severely cracked and would not hold pressure plus it leaked. So a new fuel pump was in order.

I have also seen connector problems there as well. Another possible contributor is the emergency cut off/ roll-over switch mounted on the firewall. It kills power to the fuel pump in event of a rollover.

I am sure Paul Grant may have some good used fuel pump assemblies and a Multi-function relay. I think that is what you were talking about. Hit him up.

I like hearing the pressure vent off the fuel tank when I loosen the gas cap as I consider that to be a good indication of pressure integrity, figuring that if it holds pressure, there must not be a leak anywhere. I had to replace my entire fuel line from tank to engine fuel rails due to extreme corrosion turning the lines into what looked like swiss chees when I first bought my Discovery. Even the fuel filter and the clamp holding it had corroded together and the fuel filter itself had a pinhole leak as did the fuel lines. I like hearing that pressure vent off when I loosen the fuel cap.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:25 AM
4wd Low

I finally had a helper today so I was able to do some more trouble shooting. I had my girlfriend turn the key to pos2 while I had a multi-meter on proper pin-outs at the fuel pump. It hit 12v for about 5 seconds, then nothing. If I left the plug in on the pump, nothing would happen. Because of this, I am fairly certain the pump just gave up. I ordered a new one from AB (Great customer service!) for just over $400 with overnight shipping and will install it as soon as I get it tomorrow.

I'll update the thread once I find out for sure if that was the issue!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

WHOA! Fuel pump only runs for a few seconds to pressurize system if engine does not crank.... but that may be as long as a 30 second delay, not sure. You can put a pressure gauge on fuel rail schrader valve on passenger side of engine. Normal pressure is 32 - 34 PSI. Test fully before swap, so you can return if this is not it.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:17 PM
4wd Low

Received the fuel pump this morning via UPS from AB, those guys ship insanely fast! I ordered yesterday afternoon and I'm on the west coast.

It took me about 45 minutes to swap out the fuel pump, the old one looks like it is the original, and with 140k, that's not too bad! The unfortunate thing was, I had just filled up the tank about a day before it died, so it was completely full. And it was parked on an uphill. I definitely spilled a decent amount of gas when the original fuel pump finally gave way and popped out.

Once I stalled the new one, I dried and cleaned everything out and turned the key to pos2, I heard the fuel pump come on as it should and the fuel psi on the rail jumped up to 35psi! I did a couple "primes" in pos2 since I replaced the fuel filter too, and gave it a whirl. The rover started right up and ran no problem at all! I left it on four about 30 minutes and there were no problems at all! It runs perfectly!

Thank you for all the help on here! Between all the posts and ideas I was able to narrow down the problem and fix it quite easily! Now I can throw my mt bike in the back and get back out on the trails!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the repair.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laselvasurf
Received the fuel pump this morning via UPS from AB, those guys ship insanely fast! I ordered yesterday afternoon and I'm on the west coast.

It took me about 45 minutes to swap out the fuel pump, the old one looks like it is the original, and with 140k, that's not too bad! The unfortunate thing was, I had just filled up the tank about a day before it died, so it was completely full. And it was parked on an uphill. I definitely spilled a decent amount of gas when the original fuel pump finally gave way and popped out.

Once I stalled the new one, I dried and cleaned everything out and turned the key to pos2, I heard the fuel pump come on as it should and the fuel psi on the rail jumped up to 35psi! I did a couple "primes" in pos2 since I replaced the fuel filter too, and gave it a whirl. The rover started right up and ran no problem at all! I left it on four about 30 minutes and there were no problems at all! It runs perfectly!

Thank you for all the help on here! Between all the posts and ideas I was able to narrow down the problem and fix it quite easily! Now I can throw my mt bike in the back and get back out on the trails!
Congrats! I only got about 75K out of my original pump.

Btw, I believe AB has a distribution warehouse in Nevada, which might explain the quick shipping.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought they advertised one on each coast or something like that. Glad to hear it was so simple.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:34 PM
3rd Gear
Default 97 land rover discovery won't start :(

battery fully charged by all standards (lights, radio etc), there was a problem with fuel coming in so we changed the fuel filter and it has a new fuel pump but now we get no turn at all. any ideas?? could be the starter i suppose but it was fine up until 10 minutes ago. please help on thoughts.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yogacwgrl
battery fully charged by all standards (lights, radio etc), there was a problem with fuel coming in so we changed the fuel filter and it has a new fuel pump but now we get no turn at all. any ideas?? could be the starter i suppose but it was fine up until 10 minutes ago. please help on thoughts.
Check all your fuses, including those under the hood near the battery. Make sure the battery cables are firmly attached. The RAVE likely contains a section on the ignition system and there is probably a troubleshooting section you could use to help solve the problem.

Quick Reply: 1997 Land Rover Discovery Won't Start