Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1998 D1: Pending P0340 with video!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 D1: Pending P0340 with video!

Been troubleshooting some loss of power and intake popping sound issues for the last month. Got some intermittent cylinder misfire pending codes, tuned up with kingsborne 8mm wires and Bosch plugs which got rid of those.

Then continued to get a pending P0340 code (camshaft position sensor signal error fault). Same symptoms as before...power loss, popping into the intake. Picked up a used one, cleaned the connector with CRC electric cleaner and replaced with some dielectric grease.

Talked to a local mechanic who recommended tracking short and longterm fuel trims, so I added those to my Ultragauge. I was finally able to catch the problem on video.

Any thoughts on where to start digging? I've read and heard from multiple folks that the camshaft position sensor rarely fails so I'm not sure where else to go.

Last edited by keoni004; 03-31-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Haha, it embedded!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

And some people say the U-G is a waste of money...

How are the O2's?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
And some people say the U-G is a waste of money...

How are the O2's?
Didn't even think about it. Added both banks to the UG...will see if I can replicate it. Will report back.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Question

Originally Posted by Spike555
How are the O2's?
Success! Finally a CEL for the P0340! Everything to this point has been pending, which is annoying as...

It took about 5 minutes of normal driving before the symptoms started to return. Uploading the video now, but from the looks of it when I'm on the throttle it short term fuel trim starts going way negative (-10) and O2 voltages drop to 0.015 from 0.9 at idle.

So if I'm looking at this right...when I'm under load and asking the engine for fuel something is telling it to hold fuel (negative STFT) which is reflected by the lean readings from the O2 sensors (low-voltages)? How does that even work?

From the rave:
Camshaft position sensor (CMP Sensor)
The camshaft position sensor is located in the engine front cover. It produces one pulse every two revolutions. The signal is used in two areas, injector timing corrections for fully sequential fuelling and active knock control.
If the camshaft sensor fails, default operation is to continue normal ignition timing. The fuel injectors will be actuated sequentially, timing the injection with respect to top dead centre. Injection will either be correct or one revolution out of synchronisation. The fault is not easily detected by the driver. The fault is indicated by illumination of the malfunction indicator light (MIL) on North American specification vehicles.
And I'm easily detecting this as the driver.

Edit: From UG
Fuel trims are expressed in percentages with a range of -100% to 99.2% of nominal. Positive values indicate a lean condition exists and the injector is left open longer to compensate, thus adding more fuel. Negative values indicate a rich condition exists and the injectors are closed more quickly thus reducing the amount of fuel.

and

Raw output from the O2 sensor. 0 volts is equivalent of 100% lean fuel air mixture and 1.275 volts is 99.2% rich fuel air mixture. Bank1 is the cylinder bank with spark plug #1.
So negative STFT means the computer is seeing rich conditions and is trying to pull fuel. But if it's running rich, I would expect to see higher voltages from the O2 banks, right? So confused...

Last edited by keoni004; 03-31-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I know almost nothing about fuel trim.
The O2's are supposed to change voltage as the engine is running, they are supposed to change voltage quickly, slow change in volts means slow response which will mess with the fueling of the engine.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Rock Crawling

I love these Barney style videos. Adds nothing but confusion to this situation since I'm not getting any lean or rich codes.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

ummmm... P0340 is camshaft position sensor problem, and may not be associated with the O2s at all. There is a separate monitoring system for the CPS. See page 59 of attached GEMS ECU manual. Other codes are explained in depth as well.

You can unplug the cam shaft sensor and engine should still run with fall back values (unlike the crank shaft sensor). So you could repeat test with sensor off, it makes a code, but then see if problems are still there or other values are changing the way you think. I would suppose if the CPS is drifting all over the place, the ECU might try to correct the fueling.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
gems_obd.pdf (508.8 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-01-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Savannah. I've been going over that document. Trying to piece together the information (like I would for a patient in clinic) and nothing jives. I'm gonna pick up a vacuum gauge kit and see what's up, and measure the MAF outputs. If I'm measuring short term fuel trim, vacuum pressure, MAF and O2 sensor outputs on the 8 windows on the UG at least I'll be reading everything I can in relation to air and fuel in the engine, short of fuel pressure under load.

I'm sure I would be fine just replacing things that are old and need to be replaced anyway (ie. fuel filter), but for whatever reason I'm being super stubborn about trying to diagnose directly to get an answer.

Thanks for the input guys. Let me know if there's anything else I should measure/monitor.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Speaking of used CPS, the D1 GEMS uses a two pulse per rotation unit, and the D2 Bosch uses a four pulse per rotation unit.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

And if signal from CPS is "wandering" - that could indicate a slack timing chain.

Quick Reply: 1998 D1: Pending P0340 with video!