Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1998 Disco no spark issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the new computor and matching alarm unit on it since I have not done so since I got it back running by unplugging the fuel temp. sensor. It is now firing on all cylinders, however when you put it under load or rev the engine it still cuts out just as I described earlier. Any input???????

Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Three Wheeling

I cleaned the Intake, checked for vacuum leaks and didn't find any problems. It idles up around 2K and stumbles back to 1.5K, but once it warms up it runs better. The miss is very subtle once warm. I drove it down the highway and it runs good, but if you stand on the throttle it cuts out at high RPMs. It idles high though in neutral, or park. When you put it in drive or reverse it idles at 1K. I also drove it to AutoZone and had the codes read. It only had one P1193.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Isn't that a sign of a dirty IAC?

Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Three Wheeling

I cleaned the IAC. The IAC itself was clean, however the hole was dirty so I cleaned it. Last night I noticed coils for 8&5, and 3&2 cut out. 6&1, and 4&7 do not. I swaped both sets and the problem did NOT follow the coil. It still cut out on 8&5 and 3&2. I believe the high idle is from swapping the ECU, I read were it has to be reset for the throttle sensor. The missing is what has me confused. It is not plugs, wires, coil, crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, or ECU. I have changed all of those. I am concidering rewiring the Crank sensor to ECU wires, and Coil to ECU wires next. I don't want to go this route because I have traced all wires and cannot find a short. One other item is the tabs the crank sensor reads. I looked at them and they have a tooth on each side evenly spaced. I noticed one is missing but it doesn't look to be broke off so I don't know if it is suposed to be that way or not. There is a gap that is factory but all others have one tooth on each side, but one on mine only has one tooth on one side. Does anyone have a pic of one so I could compare to mine?

Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Three Wheeling

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...g-48827/page9/

Think I found a solution. I am going to glue a tab and see if it fixes it. If it does I have a friend that can weld it. I will let you know if that fixes my issues.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 PM
8th Gear

It's been a while since I had my engine apart, ok a couple weeks, but the missing tooth senses where #1 is for correct firing if I remember correctly. So you should have one missing tab.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok let me clarify so we are both on the same page. Each slot has two tabs (one on each side ofthe crank sensor). I have a gap that ismissing both tabs that is defiantly factory I assumed this is what senses TDC. I also have one tab missing on the inside(the outside tab is there). Which areaare you talking about? I don’t want todo the work if I am incorrect.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:37 PM
8th Gear

Ok if you are missing one half of the tab set, that may be a problem. The missing one locates the engine in the rotation of the crank. Just checked my old one and I have all tabs, bent over of course when part of the cam came out the back of the engine.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Three Wheeling

Good deal. I fabricated a tooth out of a saw blade last night and epoxied it to the reluctor. I didn't want to spend a lot of time and money if this was not my problem. I fired it up this morning and it ran like a top for about 30sec and then started cutting out. I will check at lunch to see if it slung the tooth off I epoxied. If that is the case I will tear it down and fix it. Thanks for looking at your old reluctor for me.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Three Wheeling

Getting it welded tonight. Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: 1998 Disco no spark issues