Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1998 Disco no spark issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 04:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

A shot in the dark is worth twenty in the light so far. That sounds like a feasible reason so check it out Shane.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried it no change.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm going to change the Cam sensor. Ordered it today.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok I installed the Cam Sensor and it fired up but it idles great with no miss. I took it for a ride and quickly realized it cuts out going up a hill or trying to accelerate. When I got back home I realized I had left the fuel pressure sensor plug unplugged. I plugged it back in while it was idling and it shut of the motor. I cranked it back but it would not idle and ran bad. I unplugged it and slowly increased the throttle and when it gets over 2.5K rpm it will fall back to 2K rpm and then go back up, and fall again. I am going to check fuel pressure and see what is going on. Any input?

Old 10-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Old 10-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by snydesh
Ok I installed the Cam Sensor and it fired up but it idles great with no miss. I took it for a ride and quickly realized it cuts out going up a hill or trying to accelerate. When I got back home I realized I had left the fuel pressure sensor plug unplugged. I plugged it back in while it was idling and it shut of the motor. I cranked it back but it would not idle and ran bad. I unplugged it and slowly increased the throttle and when it gets over 2.5K rpm it will fall back to 2K rpm and then go back up, and fall again. I am going to check fuel pressure and see what is going on. Any input?
as a couple of us have found.....that sensor on the fuel tank is tied into the same circuit as the TPS, IACV.....there is a chance that when the sensor went ...it took out the tps or something else....maybe get the truck hooked up to a live scanner to find out whats working and not ??

Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Three Wheeling

What type of scanner do I need. I may purchase it depending if it will match up with my other car/trucks.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Most here buy an UltraGauge ( UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center ) because it will work with any vehicle and it's relatively cheap @$60.00.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear
Smile No Spark

Hi don't know if you got your 98 Disco 1 running yet. I am new to the forum stuff, with this being my first input. Late this fall I purchased a 98 Disco 1 that was not running. A friend of mine is a Land rover enthusiast and mechanic so had him helping to trouble shoot. My disco had no spark and no fuel at the rail. We went through a bunch of stuff ECU, Multi Function Unit, replaced the Crank Position sensor but to no avail. the ECU and Multi Function Unit were working fine. We finally got word from another Edmonton area enthusiast who had similar issues with his 98. Turns out it was a ground problem. Take the vertical kick panel off the right passenger foot well (two plastic screws) and in behind are a few relays. Smack in the middle is a ground point with a number of ground wires to it. (Mine looked really clean but took it apart as I was already there) sanded the contacts lightly with sand paper and put it back together and with first turn of the key it fired up.

As I mentioned when I looked at the ground it looked fine, so there must have been a fine film enough to prevent connection.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:59 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by snydesh
I found a junk yard that has the vehicle with the ECM andthe Alarm module, but the guy needs to know where the alarm module is locatedand what it looks like. I am not realsure myself. Can anyone point me to itso I can relay that information to the junkyard and get this Rover going. J
Hi don't know if you got your 98 Disco 1 running yet. I am new to the forum stuff, with this being my first input. Late this fall I purchased a 98 Disco 1 that was not running. A friend of mine is a Land rover enthusiast and mechanic so had him helping to trouble shoot. My disco had no spark and no fuel at the rail. We went through a bunch of stuff ECU, Multi Function Unit, replaced the Crank Position sensor but to no avail. the ECU and Multi Function Unit were working fine. We finally got word from another Edmonton area enthusiast who had similar issues with his 98. Turns out it was a ground problem. Take the vertical kick panel off the right passenger foot well (two plastic screws) and in behind are a few relays. Smack in the middle is a ground point with a number of ground wires to it. (Mine looked really clean but took it apart as I was already there) sanded the contacts lightly with sand paper and put it back together and with first turn of the key it fired up.

As I mentioned when I looked at the ground it looked fine, so there must have been a fine film enough to prevent connection.

Quick Reply: 1998 Disco no spark issues