Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1998 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FLA Rover hit the nail on the head. I have come to love working on my truck. I bet I tied up 15 hrs wrenching on mine this weekend! And I still need to change an oil cooler line, drop the pan, swap the sunroofs out and wire some lights! It has been a great truck and only stranded me once when it blew up the black expansion tank like I was warned it would do. Add the white expansion tank to your list of repairs if you have the black one. These trucks can/will consume you, especially if you get into wheeling!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick98Discovery
Thank you for all of the responses and the links. From what I'm looking at, dropping a fuel pump seems pretty straight forward. We'll see...

Thanks also for the info on checking for moisture. It rained a lot here this weekend and I noticed a little dampness near the rear passenger seat.
Get in there soon and check under the padding. Where the're moisture there's rust and the padding is your enemy.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM
7th Gear

I really appreciate all of the feedback you all have given me! I don't know why, but I'm attached to this vehicle already.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by RobG4
Get in there soon and check under the padding. Where the're moisture there's rust and the padding is your enemy.
I cut my padding out this morning. It was SOAKED! No rust yet and I am clueless as to where the water is coming from. It is wet back toward the seat base and bone dry up at the firewall.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:19 PM
7th Gear

Same with me. Wet in the same place. No indication of where the water is getting in at. I'll keep seaching and let you know if I find anything.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had mine parked during a rain storm and when I backed up to move it water from the rear sunroof drain pan poured out of the rear switch and light above the rear seat. I caulked the rear shut. Applied the caulk between glass and trim and water still getting in. That's my project during works winter shut down.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Pro Wrench

The water usually doesn't come from between the glass and the seal. It comes from under the black trim on the roof and the sheet metal. I just replaced my rear. I ran a thin layer of black RTV around the underside of the black outer trim. Hopefully does the trick. New one actually opens and closes. Just need to finish the front one now.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
The water usually doesn't come from between the glass and the seal. It comes from under the black trim on the roof and the sheet metal. I just replaced my rear. I ran a thin layer of black RTV around the underside of the black outer trim. Hopefully does the trick. New one actually opens and closes. Just need to finish the front one now.
Gonna hit that with caulk next. Rainy season about over and come November I should have accumulated everything I need to get them operating. Much more comfortable to ride a day or two without the insulating properties of headliner in winter than summer...

Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM
7th Gear

Dried out the interior and sealed the area between the roof and the black trim before a big rainstorm we had last night. No moisture this morning in the vehicle at all. Replaced fuel pump. Pretty easy fix. Now moving on to checking out the suspension a little more closely. Moderate vibration at around 60 mph.