Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1998 Land Rover Discovery I Engine Management Fuse #3 on Satellite 1 Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Land Rover Discovery I Engine Management Fuse #3 on Satellite 1 Keeps Blowing

So I go to bring the 1998 Disco I in to the garage to install my new master cylinder and the truck stalls...I check for spark and nothing. So I check my fuses and find that the interior fuse panel on satellite 1, fuse number three is blown. Now this is the engine management fuse. I replace, truck starts fine...I drive in to garage and continue the brake job.

Brakes work now...hooray.

Fuse blows again...put in new fuse...start truck...put in gear...fuse blows...put in new fuse...turn key fuse blows...keeps blowing now.

I am one match away from lighting this thing on fire and roasting marshmallows.

Any helpful hints before I dive in to the RAVE manual and spend some time I don't have finding the problem?

Anyone have the same problem and have a quick fix?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Engine Management Fuse

If I am reading this RAVE manual correctly, looks like that engine management fuse goes to the ECM, the fuel pump relay, and either the engine immobilization unit or the ignition control unit and multi-port fuel injection.

Any other redundancy's in this system that anyone knows of?

Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 PM
5th Gear
Default 1997 LR D1 TD300 - Engine Management Fuse #3 on Satellite 1 Keeps Blowing

The 97 300TDi I am driving started this two days ago. I am still scratching my head, while I wait for the rain to clear to work on it again.

Has thecarfarm had any further progress or perhaps even success ?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Mudding

You might start by looking around in the area you were working to see if perhaps you've pinched a wire underneath something...

Then start unplugging things that this fuse powers and hopefully you'll find your short..

I don't think much of the wiring on these things...

Good Luck

John

Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Default moisture blows the fuse

Unfortunately I wish I could offer you more info then I have.

It ended up being moisture that was blowing the fuse. The truck had been sitting through some pretty fierce rain storms and hot and cold days and there was some dampness inside.

Let the truck sit in the garage with the windows open for a couple days and it started fine and has not blown the fuse since.

Must have just been moisture in the right place to keep blowing that fuse.

No issues since.

best,
Jon
The Car Farm - Home

Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 AM
5th Gear
Default Replies & moving forward.

Originally Posted by JPSpen
Then start unplugging things that this fuse powers and hopefully you'll find your short..
This is what I have been doing. When the motor is cold I get more time until the fuse blows. I actually drove it about a mile from cold [26C/79F ambient temperature], but it came home on the back of a tow truck.

The vehicle owner has since mentioned that it had stopped on him, twice, for no reason in the lead up to the service, prior to our trip. His mechanic had found nothing wrong. For these stops it did not blow fuses and just started fine after a small wait. This issue/symptom may be unrelated, but I mention it in case it is.

Originally Posted by thecarfarm
It ended up being moisture that was blowing the fuse. The truck had been sitting through some pretty fierce rain storms and hot and cold days and there was some dampness inside.
This Discovery normally lives in the tropical rainforest. It is currently 1100 miles further away from the equator, and from our home and my proper toolkit. This problem started before we got hit with the cyclone [southern hemisphere hurricane], last weekend. However, I will still bear in mind your comments about moisture.

All,

So far it is repeatable. Happens far quicker [~ 5 seconds] when the diesel motor is warm. If I unplug the Glow Plug Controller it still happens. I have a quite a few fuses to go, if needed. I will look over the information that I have here about the electric circuit associated with, fuse 3 of satellite 1, to build a list of suspects for the next foray.

I did not set out to hijack this thread.

Cheers, Jim

Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's page from the RAVE electrical manual. Note that many modules to deal with diesel devilment can be involved. Like EGR, diesel immobilization, fuel shutoff, etc. If you have access to the RAVE, either a download or online (links below); you can look up the connector numbers and there are photos of the locations. You can divide and conquer.

If no meter available, one way to troubleshoot is attach a tail light bulb in series with the circuit. High draw of amps will light the bulb more brightly.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 fuse 3 wires.pdf (483.6 KB, 288 views)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
5th Gear
Default Acknowledgement of Savannah Buzz's input

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Here's page from the RAVE electrical manual
Thanks for that page, Savannah Buzz. I was muddling my way through the sections A4 & A5, of RAVE, making notes on the fuse's circuit flow. This page is much more simplified, and civilised.

Your other comments are noted, and appreciated. I am heading to the auto parts store tomorrow to get the bits to build up a fused fly lead, so I can test some items safely and in complete isolation from the rest of the wiring loom.

Cheers, Jim

Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 PM
5th Gear
Default I give up. Next !

Update: It left for the repair shop on the back of a tow truck, with me more confused than when I started.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM
5th Gear
Smile It's back !

The culprit was found to be Fuel Shut–Off Solenoid [K111 in RAVE].

Now to get on about our travels.

Cheers, Jim

Quick Reply: 1998 Land Rover Discovery I Engine Management Fuse #3 on Satellite 1 Keeps Blowing