Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

95 3.9L fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 95 3.9L fuel injectors

I've been reading up on replacement fuel injectors, but haven't been able to find any decisive info. What do u guys recommend or have used as replacement injectors for your 3.9L engines? Alot of what I've read is people using Ford 19lb/hr injectors. But I've seen on Ebay they list ones for almost all models of fords that are compatible with a 95 Disco 3.9L. Is there a specific part# to search for on the ford injectors to install on our engines? Thanks in advance people

Old 06-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I made the below post back in March, so I'm just gonna cut-n-paste. As a follow-up to it, I can say that the Ford 19lb injectors are working just fine for me. The mileage is where it should be (no better, no worse), and it runs great. Here's my c-n-p:

I bought from PerformanceEFI on eBay for my '94 3.9L. They insisted on sending the Gen/Design II injectors vice the IIIs. They claimed there have been fitment issues with Land Rovers and the IIIs. Three major differences I see between the IIs and IIIs: size/material of the body, spray pattern (don't believe anyone who says that they have the exact same pattern because they both have a 4-hole design. This video shows 24lb injectors [the recommended Bosch replacement for our engines is the 19lb] but that shouldn't make a difference on the spray pattern. The IIIs do a better job of atomizing the fuel: ), and the fact that the IIs have the provision for the rail clips and the IIIs don't. As this was my first time doing injectors, I appreciated having the IIs for that clip provision. I thought I had the rails pressed down well enough, but when I went to install the clips, it was very clear the rail was not fully seated on the injectors. This very piece is probably why the seller insisted on the IIs vice the IIIs.

I will say my old injectors hadn't been removed and rebuilt ever, as far as I know (I'm the second owner). So when I say that the engine seems to run/accelerate smoother, it may be a result of the different spray pattern and/or the old injectors being filthy vs. the Ford ones being fully rebuilt.

As far as better fuel economy, I haven't gotten a full tank through it yet post-swap. I'm chasing other issues. I have read some folks have experienced a noticeable drop in economy; I hope that's not the case for me. I did save the factory injectors in case the mpg drops a bunch and/or I have concerns that the new injectors are the source of a problem. I can track down a local rebuilder and pop the originals back in. Plenty others rave about the upgrade and most recommend the Gen/Design IIIs.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't know how the prices compare now, but a buddy of mine bought a set for his 3.9L RRC from here: Discovery Land Rover Fuel Injectors - Land Rover Fuel Injection - FiveOMotorsport.com
They seemed to work fine.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had any luck rebuilding the OE injectors? Can you use the Bosch style injector rebuild kits as that is what style we have in these Disco1's... Anybody??