Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'95 Disco Bent & Broken Push Rod...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And one of the problems we have on this type of board is that many initial members are throwing it out there for help and they are desparate, wild eyed, this-is-my-only-vehicle and I-can't-afford-the-dealer and etc. You can't always "see" that in reading what they typed, however, were we to have this person walk up to us in a parking lot we would realize they needed help. I've jump started vehicles for Muslims, Mormons, and Methodists, maybe even a few Lutherans. Probably because most people know a guy in a rusty pickup will have jumper cables. Not the guy in the Caddilac.

I like Mike and Spike, they can bring you back to reality. We need that to keep from dropping to the un-productive level of some other boards.

I also suspect Mike's "thank you" pile in the in-box is sky high, while complaints are pretty low. From what I have seen (and experienced) if Mike corrects you, it is in your truck's (and your wallet's) best interest.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 12-12-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way back when I was 'wet behind the ears' in Rover-speak (ahhh, the good old days) I looked at this site and the 'official' one. After lurking I quickly realized that there was a lot of rude replies and a general lack of respect over there.

I was pleasantly surprised by the patience and thorough responses given to everyone that posts here. I've seen Savanna Buzz write volumes of info on the same subject over and over but never with any attitude or tone. Mike is much more direct with his replies but they are generally spot-on.

I believe the biggest challenge with any forum (I am a member of a few) is with keeping a proper perspective on why people are here. As SB stated, most people come to a forum like this becasue they have a problem. When was the last time someone logged in with "Hey guys, first post. I have a 19XX Disco with 178,000,000 miles and it works great, never had the heads off, gets fantastic mpg. All the electrical accessories work and it has never failed me. Great forum...bye."?

PS: Savannah, it's really not nice to jump-start people in parking lots...unless their pulse is weak or they have a poor rhythm. ;-)

Old 12-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with what you all said, and I too am super appreciative of what Mike, Spike, Savannah, etc. have done to help me. When I first joined the site over a year ago I didn't know squat about how to deal with my Rover, but now I have a pretty solid understanding and I feel the better for it. There is still much to learn.

And yes, I think the tone on this site IS better than many others, but I fear it could just as easily descend into the same sort of pissing matches as other sites, or like was mentioned creating an environment where people are afraid to ask a question for fear of being publicly berated. Not everyone has thick skin.

I would personally like to think of coming here as more of a hangout spot to spend with people I consider friends and fellow enthusiasts, despite not knowing any of you personally; and I think it IS like that most of the time.

I guess my point is that it's fine to be direct (and sometimes necessary), but I often sense that there is a level of frustration behind some responses. Perhaps it comes from spending hours on this forum and others answering repetitive questions or working with those green folks that haven't figured out what they're doing, or young folks that are more impulsive, poor listeners, etc. I understand how it could get that way, but for me that would be a sign that it was time for a vacation from the site for a while to regain perspective.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my little soap-box talk/fireside chat. I don't want anyone thinking I don't appreciate what this forum offers. I really enjoy coming here and sharing my experiences and reading about all yours.

Later.