Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

95 Disco. I ve had it....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Disco. I ve had it....

OK, so I ve got a bad birf in the front axle. I am also trying to identify the groan I get on decelleration and also one in lo range when climbing( hell just my drive way).
now Im really missing something.
Why is it when in either hi/lo diff lock, I can get it to move, yet unlocked I cannot.
It wasnt anything I had noticed before, nothing that was a problem. 4 lo/hi unlocked worked fine. Locked too. Now, maybe it wasnt?

I pulled the front shaft, ellimintating the front axle( pulled flanges too) from noise problems. all was quiet.
But the diff lock has me puzzled

Old 10-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

If you are right about the front CV being busted, that's why you have to be in lock to move.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Three Wheeling

That doesnt make sense. It should have no bases on it. It should still pull in the rear in unlocked I pulled the front driveshaft completely. If not then locked would not move it either

Its a center diff lock, not axle diff lock..

Old 10-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

no. that's not how full time 4wd works. You could just lift one tire off the ground and you'd not move, unless you locked the center diff.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

a differential is going to allow all of the power to go to the path of least resistance. with your front drive shaft out, that means that the front output of the transfer case is going to be a lot easier to turn than the rear driveshaft.

Last edited by jafir; 10-09-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Three Wheeling

ok, as I was pondering about , it came to me and I think its what you were mentioning.

This is slightly different than the 4AWD on a LAnd Cruiser. I say this as we have driven a few off the trails sans rear shaft... NO CDL

Being said, this is essentially an open diff design, w/o my front shaft, it spins the front out put, thus no move, same if it were the rear. Makes sense now. Thanks..Just needed another set of eyes...

Old 10-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Let me ask this, with the CDL engaged, can you drive it on road sans front shaft, I.E. a recovery, if so how far? Just useful info..

Old 10-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I drove my D1 for two weeks while I was fooling around with getting two new universals into the prop shaft. It simply becomes a rear wheel truck. Prop shaft was in the bench vise. Spike told me he had done this, not sure how long.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
a differential is going to allow all of the power to go to the path of least resistance. with your front drive shaft out, that means that the front output of the transfer case is going to be a lot easier to turn than the rear driveshaft.
What he said, and to ad watch this video, skip forward to the 4:00min mark.

spike555's Channel - YouTube

Old 10-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jafir
If you are right about the front CV being busted, that's why you have to be in lock to move.
It actually was fine on the busted u joint, even with hub flanges out, seems there was enough resitance through the rotating assy of the diff that allowed it to work

Quick Reply: 95 Disco. I ve had it....