Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'96 D1 5spd No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012 | 12:14 PM
|
Drifting
Default '96 D1 5spd No Start

Ahh, I love my Discovery. It's a 96 D1 5spd and it doesn't want to start. Here's the rundown. A few months ago I was traveling home from a canoe trip and while on the highway it just stalled and died. It did this a few times for the rest of the trip but I was able to make it home.

So I consulted some friends and I was told to change the fuel filter. Which I did. Once I replaced that the problem of stalling was not fixed. It would continue to stall at stop signs, even if I gave it gas. After the filter, I replaced all the plugs and wires. It still ran rough after replacing those. I had also ordered a fuel pump from BA when I ordered the fuel filter.

Well I just replaced the fuel pump (complete assembly from BA) and now the Disco won't start at all. Before it would actually start but run really rough. Now when I turn the key, all the lights come on in the 2nd position and it chimes but when I turn the key to actually start the truck the lights flicker and I hear clicking from the passenger side floorboard and from what I assume is the fuel pump relay assembly under the hood.

I've tried priming the pump to no avail. I haven't removed the gas cap yet to see if there is a vacuum. I also want to test the wiring harness to the pump. I also I also need to check my fuel pressure.

I have read a ton of posts with people who have similar issues. I am just hoping for a little help so I can get my Disco back on the road.

Also, wondering if water is in the gas tank. The pump was removed for a while before I actually replaced it with the new one so maybe condensation formed in the tank. Would that be a cause for my no start? Thanks

Old 01-23-2012 | 12:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Your original problem may have been related to the Vehicle Speed Sensor (search VSS).

I don't know how long your fuel tank was open but unlikely you got that much condensation and certainly that wouldn't be related to your current problem.

Is the battery fully charged and terminals clean/secure? Does the fuel pump run while in POS II? It will only run far a few seconds if the engine doesn't start. You can hook up a simple test light to see if the pump is getting power but remember it will only power-up with the initial turn of the key.

Your anti-theft system may have been activated inadvertantly while you poking around. That can be reset also.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2012 | 12:46 PM
|
Drifting

Right now I am wondering about the alarm and thinking that might be it. How do you reset the alarm system?

Old 01-23-2012 | 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Should have fuel test port on fuel rail passenger side, looks like a tire valve. 32-34 PSI. The VSS is one gotcha when you are moving, the multifunction relay that is near battery is another (controls fuel pump), and you should also have a crank position sensor. When that dies, no spark. Then it cools off and resets. Can test by having a spark plug handy, when problem happens pull a plug wire, and use spare plug laying on manifold to test for spark. Can pour water on sensor to cool off and reset. $70 - $90, drivers side rear of engine.

Back to basics - got spark? Got fuel pressure?

Old 01-23-2012 | 01:02 PM
|
Drifting

Going to try resetting the alarm system right now. If that doesn't work I will check for both spark and fuel pressure tonight.

Old 01-23-2012 | 01:40 PM
|
Drifting

Resetting the alarm did not work. Still will not start. Could it be the battery? It has been sitting for a long time and it is colder out now.

Old 01-23-2012 | 01:50 PM
Baja

Lights flickering and clicking noise points towards a fault with the charging and/or starter system.
One or more of:
Bad battery
Loose connections to the battery (including the grounds)
Bad stater solenoid
Bad starter
Bad alternator not charging

It's unlikely any of the above caused the original stalling problem, unless a connection is really loose, but you need to fix the current problem first.

Old 01-23-2012 | 02:46 PM
|
Drifting

I'm leaning (hoping) it's the battery. Things were fine, minus the stalling issue, before it sat for a while. I will try and jump it tonight.

Old 01-31-2012 | 08:36 PM
|
Drifting

Just replaced that battery and she started right up. However, it's still stalling. So now the Disco has a new battery, plugs and wires, fuel filter and fuel pump. I was looking through the engine compartment and noticed an O2 sensor that was smoking. Could that be the cause of my stalling?

Old 02-01-2012 | 11:54 AM
Winching

i think you need to check for spark after it stalls as these folks have suggested...

Quick Reply: '96 D1 5spd No Start