Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 D1 dies in really hot weather, fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:01 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 D1 dies in really hot weather, fuel pump?

New to this group but not to rovers. I have been a rover owner, doing my own work since '99. I really need some advice before thowing parts at this one.

So driving home from work in a new beater D1 I bought, with the AC on, the engine just dies while driving in traffic. Outside temp was about 100 degrees. Waited 3 or 4 minutes and it starts up runs for 3 or 4 minutes at idle (with AC on) and dies again.

I can tell that right before it dies the fuel pump turns off. It has been making a whine noise so I hear it shut down. When the pump stops the engine dies within a few seconds. The coolant temp is right where it should be.

I think right away it's the pump right?

I get it home put the pressure gauge on it and a solid 32. Of course I couldn't get the under hood temps up again in the cool of the evening. Now I can't make it fail, I guess it's just not hot enough under there.

It drove fine in 80 degree weather for 120 miles no stutters just a couple days ago.

I don't mind buying parts and putting in the time, I just want everones opinon on what the hell is causing this.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like crank position sensor to me. When gets hot, it quits sending info to the CPU and sparks stop. And CPU also controls the pump. You can verify by carrying a spare spark plug, when this happens unplug a wire and attach to plug, lay on manifold, have some one crank and watch for sparks. No sparks is serious indicator for CKP sensor. About $80, driver side rear of engine. PITA to get at, all little bolts and nuts and spacers must go back in exact order, spacing is critical. Easier to plug new one in and let it dangle before re-mounting.

You can pour cold water on one to cool it back down to working range sometimes and limp off the expressway.

When spark testing, bonus points are awarded if you can get car sales weasel to hold the plug....

Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 PM
4th Gear

Thanks, I think I'm going to go the ckps route first. I will post my findings.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 PM
4th Gear
Default Resolved

Out of all the stuff that could have caused this, the crank position sensor is one I never want to do again with the engine and exhaust in the truck. What a pain in the *** this one was.

Everything that was "fixed" by the previous owner was done by a shop that has no skill or pride in their work. The heatsheild was cut up and one of those little 7mm bolts was torqued down so tight the bolt head fell off in my hand when cleaning off the inch and a half of dirt.

I did get the replacement in and it runs great now. Even in brutal hot traffic with AC on full.

Thanks for the advice. I would have thrown a bunch of parts at this before getting to the CKPS.

I can't wait to start posting pics of this abused rover as well as my D1 rebuild project.

Last edited by PolarGlade; 07-25-2012 at 11:27 PM.