Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 disco dying after being started

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 96 disco dying after being started

hi i recently bought a 1996 discovery SD 5 spd every thing worked fine when i bought it. engine check light was and still is on and according to autozone there is a short circuit or failed oil pressure sesnor. anti lock is on. but to the main issue - went out for a drive, the next day car started and died, 10 min later it started and ran perfectly (idle) the next morning went for a drive and when it restarted to get back home it died a couple seconds later(barley idles) i had just put 2 gallons of supreme (octane93)
battery light comes on sometimes while trying to start but none of the lights are dimming and i tried to push start it with no luck the engine is trying to run but it seems to be deprived of something. also the starter whines while starting but it was doing that when i bought it.
could it be the fuel pump? bad fuel? this is my 1st car i picked because of the solid axles and the 5spd i really need help thanks

Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Read through the "tech section" on the top of the page.
The ABS light being on is because of a fault with the ABS, the best thing to do is open the hood and remove the 30A ABS pump fuse and forget about it.
You will no longer have ABS.
If you chose to fix it it will cost more than what you paid for the whole truck.

The guys at AutoZone know nothing about anything other than junk cars parts.

If the oil pressure sensor was bad the oil light would be on all the time.

Go and turn the key on so all the dash lights come on, then open the hood and on the passenger side of the engine on the fuel rail is a tire valve, press it with a flat blade screw driver.
If fuel squirts you in the face you have good fuel pressure, it is dribbles like a old man trying to pee you do not have good fuel pressure.
If so then replace the fuel filter, behind the passenger rear wheel bolted to the frame, you can buy the filter at AutoZone, $15.
This should be replaced every 2 years any way.

It sounds like you are not getting enough fuel.
A clogged fuel filter will overwork the fuel pump and burn it out.
It runs so we know you have spark.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Three Wheeling

thank you for the reply ill try your advice asap

Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Read through the "tech section" on the top of the page.
The ABS light being on is because of a fault with the ABS, the best thing to do is open the hood and remove the 30A ABS pump fuse and forget about it.
You will no longer have ABS.
If you chose to fix it it will cost more than what you paid for the whole truck.

The guys at AutoZone know nothing about anything other than junk cars parts.

If the oil pressure sensor was bad the oil light would be on all the time.

Go and turn the key on so all the dash lights come on, then open the hood and on the passenger side of the engine on the fuel rail is a tire valve, press it with a flat blade screw driver.
If fuel squirts you in the face you have good fuel pressure, it is dribbles like a old man trying to pee you do not have good fuel pressure.
If so then replace the fuel filter, behind the passenger rear wheel bolted to the frame, you can buy the filter at AutoZone, $15.

i turned the key and i tested the valve there is a tiny hiss for half a second but no fuel came out i then tried to start her which failed i then tested the valve again there was a hiss similar to the first one could it be a failed fuel pump since there is no gas ejecting from the valve?
the rover has just under a quarter tank of supreme

Old 08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yea if your got getting gas its either SUPER DUPER BAD filter or the fuel pump. Check ebay they go for about 70-80$ used.

If you have a tire gauge you can check the pressure at the rail but if all you get is a slight hiss.. No point..

All I can say is try turning the key to on for 10 seconds then off and then back to on and check the pressure [not sure if the pump is timed when key is turned or if it is just constantly pumping.] see if it will build up even a little pressure.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your fuel pump is toast.
Make sure you replace the fuel filter too.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem. It was a super bad fuel filter. Brown sludge dripped out of the old filter after I removed it.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jull
I had a similar problem. It was a super bad fuel filter. Brown sludge dripped out of the old filter after I removed it.
hopefully mine is bad too so i dont have to cough up money for a new pump
im still working on getting the filter between school and sports

Old 08-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555

alright today im going to go get a new fuel filter i have looked online on how to change them but i found nothing for the disco1 v8
could some one please tell me where to start after i release the pressure and dissconnect the battery thanks

Old 08-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by cationmoted
alright today im going to go get a new fuel filter i have looked online on how to change them but i found nothing for the disco1 v8
could some one please tell me where to start after i release the pressure and dissconnect the battery thanks
As a Disco owner, your really going to want to download the RAVE manual for it, quite a few guys have the link to it right in their signatures. Also get yourself a torque wrench... cause everything needs to be tighten to a specific point.

It's basically the step by step on how to fix anything and everything with your disco.

I attached the page from the rave for the fuel filter for you.

Attached Thumbnails 96 disco dying after being started-screenshot.jpg  

Quick Reply: 96 disco dying after being started