Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'96 DISCO1 Starting Up Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

X2 with Spike on this, if you were driving like you stole it and whipped into the garage and switched off, maybe they would come on. Normal suburban mom's taxi service or the daily commute to the puzzle palace, not so much. Gauges are very broad in their display of heat info, by design, to keep you from worrying the service manager.

Attached Thumbnails '96 DISCO1 Starting Up Problems-p1120320.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Thats because your truck is on the verge of oveheating.
Replace your fan clutch, tech section, DI.
I had the same problem, fans would stay on after driving in the summer with the a/c on, temp gauge read normal, electric fans stayed on.
Replaced fan clutch, no more electric fans running after shut down.
You would need to hook up a live data OBDII scanner to read the engine temps.

I am assuming you have replaced the thermostat and checked the condition of the radiator and have enough coolant in it.
I replaced my clutch at the same time I installed the new A/C fans (over $800!). They still stay on and my truck doesn't overheat, unless I'm in heavy California traffic on a hilly section of the I-15 freeway. Granted, I still haven't done radiator maintenance, although I have drained it and refilled it with enough coolant. I also baby my truck since I can feel every ounce of it's weight and am uneasy about throwing it around like a Rav4 so, it isn't my driving. It could just be the nature of the driving environment here in the Golden State. In my area it's always rush hour traffic.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonhead
I replaced my clutch at the same time I installed the new A/C fans (over $800!). They still stay on and my truck doesn't overheat, unless I'm in heavy California traffic on a hilly section of the I-15 freeway. Granted, I still haven't done radiator maintenance, although I have drained it and refilled it with enough coolant. I also baby my truck since I can feel every ounce of it's weight and am uneasy about throwing it around like a Rav4 so, it isn't my driving. It could just be the nature of the driving environment here in the Golden State. In my area it's always rush hour traffic.
Dude if you paid $800 for a/c fans you got Shawshanked!!
Pre-2000 Toyota Corrolla fans, swap blades, cut the connectors off of the old Rover fans and wire them to the Yota fans, done.
$50
Fan clutch, $50, Chevy Express, no a/c.

Check your belt routing, tech section, if it is wrong the water pump will turn to slow or even the wrong way.
Replace the t-stat, flush the cooling system, buy the 50/50 pre mixed coolant.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Dude if you paid $800 for a/c fans you got Shawshanked!!
Pre-2000 Toyota Corrolla fans, swap blades, cut the connectors off of the old Rover fans and wire them to the Yota fans, done.
$50
Fan clutch, $50, Chevy Express, no a/c.

Check your belt routing, tech section, if it is wrong the water pump will turn to slow or even the wrong way.
Replace the t-stat, flush the cooling system, buy the 50/50 pre mixed coolant.
Lol. No. That cost included the two replacement fans and the viscous fan clutch. Sorry for not being clear. Still high, I know. I bought all three from a local LR dealership, which explains the cost. I'm sure I'm not the only person here that likes originality. Anyway, that was before I found Atlantic British, et al. The t-stat and flushing are next in line. I've been away from the forum since my Disco's been sitting, but I'm back and learning. I really do appreciate your insight, in either case, Spike. I suppose I have to keep in mind the faulty design of some of the original parts as well as the high cost of "genuine parts" and consider the mix and match approach. I'm sure it would be less painful to my wallet.

Last edited by dragonhead; 07-13-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I prefer OEM parts, but I dont buy them because they cost to much, so I buy what I can afford and use non conventional or used parts when possible.
Again, solely based on cost.