Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 disco 1 wont is completely dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 06:28 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 disco 1 wont start and is completely dead

Ok my 97 land rover discovery 1 non aels will not come on. A couple weeks ago the car had a few dash lights on and had the battery light on. The battery wouldn't hold a charge, so I replaced it with a new one a few days ago. When I go into the truck to turn on the ignition key. Not only does it not try to turn over, but not even the dashlights come on. The battery is fully charged. The terminals are clean. The terminal wires are also reading like they should with a volt meter. Checked fuses and none are broken. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Last edited by Adam Harrelson; 11-16-2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Change title - bad grammar
Old 11-17-2019, 07:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

Did you check the fuses under the hood?

Curious as to what it was doing a before this recent new battery.
Do you get any tac action?
Did you hear any clicking leading to the no start issue?

What is the CCA rated on the new battery?
Can you jump start the car?
Can you put a test light on the battery to test for a parasite drain?

Make sure your terminals are connected not only to the battery but also to the truck

Old 11-17-2019, 10:55 AM
4wd Low

I didn't hear any clicking when I put the new battery back in but when I had the old battery the battery light on the dashboard came on and when I tried to turn the ignition key, it did click. Now nothing is on including the dashboard. The fuses in the engine compartment are not broken either. The battery has 600 CCA and 750 cranking amps.

Last edited by Adam Harrelson; 11-17-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Check your connections from/to the battery to the starter, body, block and so on. When you replaced your battery did you push the hood switch down while changing them out? That switch activates the alarm. If the alarm was set off it wouldn't prevent you from starting the motor but it would limit how far you get. If and when you get the motor started check the alternator, that's the usual culprit besides the serpentine belt slipping for the battery light.

Old 11-17-2019, 02:24 PM
4wd Low

Connection to the battery are good, but I did notice that the positive terminal on the volt said it was .5 or .6 and negative said 1.5 roughly. Should the positive terminal be this low? I'm thinking maybe it's a short?

Thanks

Old 11-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Camel Trophy

What? Not sure what your doing or looking for........ Measure from the pos term to the neg term of the battery and what do you get? Then measure from the pos term to anywhere on the block that is bare and what do you get, should be the same as across the battery terminals.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:17 PM
4wd Low

Sorry I meant the ground wire. The ground wire to the battery was .5 or .6 and the other wire from the fuse box to the battery was 1.5 roughly. The battery itself was reading where it needed to be. It's the ground wire to the battery I'm talking about. sorry my misinterpretion.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:12 PM
Camel Trophy

Try this, press the alarm hood switch down, unhook either battery cable and release the switch. Press the switch down once more and reconnect the battery. Turn the key and see what happens.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:40 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Try this, press the alarm hood switch down, unhook either battery cable and release the switch. Press the switch down once more and reconnect the battery. Turn the key and see what happens.
I just tried what you did and nothing turned on still.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:46 PM
4wd Low

Any other thoughts?

Quick Reply: 97 disco 1 wont is completely dead