Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Disco Uh-Oh

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011 | 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Put in fresh oil, the regular dino Rotella. We want engine surfaces to be coated with oil, not coolant. refill coolant system with just water. Engine may have to sit days or weeks while you work thru this. Then see if truck will crank, and in a few seconds, have the oil light go out. If light goes out, let idle for a few minutes to warm up, checking for any strange noises, and looking for steam (white smoke) in exhaust. You have already determined that you have external coolant loss, internal coolant to oil leak. You will need head gaskets ($200 - $300 including new head bolts which is a must).

What we need to do now is make sure you don't need much more than head gaskets. The oil light needs to go out, and no ticking, metal on metal noises, etc. We hope the reason light was on was that oil was diluted by coolant dump, not a dead oil pump.

Don't drive the truck. Just test run, and move in/out of garage as needed.

Once oil light stays out, even when idled up to a higher rpm, like 1000, then 1500, then 2000, then 2500 then you can decide on the HG. Will want to do a mechanical gauge oil pressure test to check out the oil pump before doing HG. Once this test is done, change oil again to get rid of coolant that will have probably leaked.

Being a young guy, you probably figured on dropping some coin on an upgrade radio, different tires, maybe a honkin' roof rack, maybe some big lights. So those will have to wait while the coin goes for head gaskets. In addition to the work you will do, you'll spend about $200 to take both heads to a machine shop where they will check for flatness and machine as needed the warped heads. They can also do your valve seals at the same time, or you can do them. They'll be part of the gasket set.

You can't hire an attorney for $500 unless it is a 20 minute problem. You might get the dealer to cover parts by taking him to small claims court or getting the state AG involved. You can't sell the truck as is for much over $500 - $1000, no matter how pretty it is. Use www.statewidelist.com to search craigslist for all Rovers in your state, sorted by city - you'll see the prices.

During this dark time of searching for solutions, you might be tempted by the "stopz leekz" fix head gasket problems liquid in a bottle. These products work by introducing some chemicals into the coolant, and those chemicals coating the crack in the head gasket, and sealing it off. Sold by the cousin of the dealer. When they work, it is when you have a small annoying leak and you are one of those guys who can't stand a single drop of anything on your pure concrete driveway. In many cases, any improvement is only short term. The balance of the material clogs up the rest of the cooling system. When heads are warped, the material can't hold because of expansion of the metal, and it comes out, making more overheat. Or it seals one area, and another weak spot lets go. They won't do any long term good for this problem most likely.

Now when you get done with this HG job you will be a more skilled mechanic, and you won't be intimidated by some high priced repair shop chain. This will be a stressful time with the gal friend, don't spend all your time on that damn truck, you still need to enjoy life.

Old 09-22-2011 | 08:27 PM

Savannah Buzz has pretty much nailed it for you.

One additional thing you may try (this just occurred to me) is to try and embarrass the dealer into doing something. If it were me, I would make a couple of large signs like from a bedsheet and some spray paint.

Paint it up good with something like "I just bought this here, drove it two days (or whatever time you did) then major HIDDEN PROBLEMS showed up. They refuse to help out or take care of it at all."

Park it as close to his driveway as you legally can and draw as much attention to it as possible. Just do not do enough to get arrested for. If you do well attracting negative attention to the dealership, they may want to get you out of there.

Get downright dogged with them.

It did have a major hidden problem that showed up how soon after you bought it?

Too bad, but it seems to be a pretty common occurrence with the older Disco's.

To prevent that from happening to you again, you need to do a thorough test drive and total examination of the vehicle or try to get a deal that includes a three-day money back clause or something of that nature.

I bought mine at a small lot but he threw in a 6 month warranty that did cover major items.

Where do you live (put it in your profile so it shows on your threads)?

Old 09-22-2011 | 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

While good to contemplate, results will be minimal, used car dealers have very thick skin, they are in competition for a car someone can afford, not a specific brand that attracts loyalty. You have a time issue here, because it won't be fine motorcycle weather much longer. Also, many auto dealers employ off duty police as security, and they can make life difficult for you.

If you plan to go after dealer in the courts, I would send him a certified letter, return receipt service to you, stating he facts, confirming that you spoke about it, dates, etc. This provides a mark of when the problem started and the fact he was notified. If you wish, you could include an offer to settle for $XX, which you compute to be the parts cost. You can include copies of estimates form other repair shops. He may settle for some, rather than go before a judge. But it all depends on the laws in your state, you may be just SOL.

Old 09-22-2011 | 11:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Man that oil is disgusting, you have a ton of coolant coming in somewhere. Where do you live? Most states will not deal with businesses like that and judges dont tend to take kindly to crooks. Check out FreeAdvice Legal Forum its an excellent legal forum with many practicing attorneys who offer advice for free.

There is no way possible the guy was blind to what he sold you, thats just a typical hack dealer looking to pull a fast one. Problem is most people buy their tough guy responses and assume they are stuck with the POS they just bought. Truth is if you pursue legal action you can get that guy into a lot of hot water, even bring up a fraud case if you have enough evidence and are in the right state.

I'll tell you from experience as I used to sell cars for a living, nobody wants an angry customer hanging around. He can kick you off his property but its perfectly legal to stand on the street and tell each and every person who comes in your story. If you get two or three people go elsewhere, he may buy you out as you will then be costing him money. Nobody cares about someone who nags but when you start hitting them in the wallet they tend to listen.

Another thing, and this may not seem like much but it lasts forever, post bad reviews everywhere you can find. Google, yahoo, aol, yelp, better business bureau etc. all have sites that allow you to post feedback. Even filing a claim with the BBB will help your cause.

As far as repairs go Savannah Buzz has it nailed so I'd follow that path and see what happens should you decide to repair it. I wouldnt drive it an inch the way it sits though, figure out that oil pressure problem and go from there. Head gaskets are in your future but there may be a more serious issue inside.

I really hate to say this but I'd venture to say 90% of used car dealers out there are just like the one you dealt with. They buy these things at auctions not knowing anything about them, give them a thorough detail to make them presentable (lets face it a good detail can make total junk look like a gem), then they try and move them fast. Its not just independent dealers either, even Carmax is guilty of the same crap. Your best bet in the future is to deal with a private seller, generally you get a better product and a better price. Buying from any dealer is like playing Russian Roulette, sad thing is theres usually 5 bullets in the chamber instead of one.

Old 09-23-2011 | 12:43 AM
|
Pro Wrench

This forum rocks! Thanks for the detailed replies.

Savanah:

I understand refilling oil, but refilling coolant? It's still full of brand new coolant I added the first and second days. Do you mean drain it anyways and then put in water(distilled?) instead?

When you say "then 2000, then 2500 then you can decide on the HG". What would the alternative to HG be?

As far as noises go it's pretty smooth sounding already even as screwed up as it is. Hopefully this is a good sign. I'll record the tests so you guys can hear too.

As far as upgrades go my plan was to restore it to pristine mechanical and cosmetic condition before upgrades so I guess this is part of that. I definitely want to understand as much as I can about my disco as possible. I've done a lot on motorcycles, rebuilt carburetors, replaced alternators in cars, etc. But nothing this advanced. I've definitely always wanted to learn more advanced repair though. Luckily I have access to countless tools through my employer or girlfriend's father.

Danny:

That's very tempting And yeah I've learned my lesson.

First day I found coolant was almost empty, overheated, and had to buy a new battery. 2 Gal coolant + new battery = 120$ to fix.
Second day I discovered HG failure

s10lowrider:
I updated my profile. I'm still evaluating the best course of action but thanks for the advice

Last edited by EricTyrrell; 09-23-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2011 | 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

What is you current job description?

As to the rpms, what we are doing there is gently increasing rpm, to be sure oil system is working, light not blinking on/off. It would be nice to have a mechanical oil PSI test, but not rquired. If oil pump has to be replaced later, it is a different path into the engine, and is not part of the HG. But if light won't stay off, you need more diagnostics before it is all clear to start on the HG.

No you don't have to change out the coolant, but a lot it will be lost anyway when you do the heads, don't get too attached to it. You'll want fresh when done. Might also be about the time to find an indy radiator shop and take the rad to be "flushed out" and "rodded out" - about $50 - $75 - and will improve cooling, get rid of old stopz leekz gunk, etc.

Another thing that may help at this point is to go buy a couple of new thermostat gaskets, and a new thermostat. Get an alternative temperature 180 degree one. Old stat has been heat stressed and will have changed operating value. May have been stuck to start with, on the "mechanic in a jar" that may have been in the system. Yep, that stuff tries to fix every leak, including the thermostat.

Take out old stat, you will loose some coolant. Replace with gasket only, no stat. That way, when you crank truck, it will only get up to 140 degrees or so, and might not get warm enough to open up the HG again. Does that mean you can drive the truck? In a life threatening emergency, other wise just for moving in/out of garage.

Now to the dealer. The BBB is certainly a good idea. And if you are so disposed, go to a T shirt shop and get one of those safety yellow green shirts made up with "I'm walking - engine blew next day", or "$3600 truck - engine blew - no one should buy from you", etc. Walk the sidewalk, public right of way, etc. Carry a protest sign. Wear a hard hat (street cred with the Bubba crowd). Have flyers printed up and offer them to every vehicle turning in the driveway. Be 100% on the facts. No opinions. Do it on Saturday and Friday after work. But it may not change anything. And it may make you look waco to persons in your life that are important.

Note: Girl friend (and her family) will be watching you to see how you respond to this "bump in the road". And your boss as well, to a lesser degree. Get your game on, and don't throw stuff, yell, etc. Calm, professional, determined. No Red Bull. Pace yourself, don't try to do it as an all nighter, results will suffer. If girl friend wants to help, bring food, play your favorite music, all the better. Try not to send her to the store for an 8mm 12 point deepwell necked down socket, unless you send a note. I can't get paint mixed without a note fom she-who-must-be-obeyed.

On the bright side, once this is done, look at all the cars that people sell for dirt because it needs HG.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-23-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2011 | 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Other notes: buy box of disposable gloves for girl friend (and you). When you start HG project she can be in of inventory, bag and label everything that comes off.
You'll also want a tarp for that garage floor and a big wide drip pan, kitty litter, etc.

As to car salesmen and local independent auto retailer (LIAR) - we all know about the hard working master tech who got fed up with the dealership and started his own shop, best garage in town. The salesmen do the same thing, they open their own small car lot. How big of a lie will you tell to make your mortgage payment? Ethics are what define a business person.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-23-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-23-2011 | 08:57 AM
|
Pro Wrench

Job description would software engineer at a large door manufacturer. I mostly work on custom CAD software and website development.

As far as the girlfriend, she's supportive of my projects. Her dad has always worked on rebuilding old Jeeps, TRs, Beetles, as well as being industrial electrician and millwright. She's a teacher and works long hours so I end up doing most of the house work anyways.

"Engine may have to sit days or weeks while you work thru this."

Do you mean I should let it sit for a few days after putting oil in? Or that the whole repair might take a few days or weeks?

Old 09-23-2011 | 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

A regular mechanic is usually allowed 10 -12 hours of shop time. Many posters say a very long weekend, or a week of evenings. Depends on who helps and how much beer. One guy said he could do it in 5 hours, he must have six arms.

The RAVE is like the project specifications, it must be read word for word (and it is the King's english). As for payback, you'll probably have to grade tests for the next six weeks. Delays may be your schedule or waiting on parts.

If there is a large u-pull-apart salvage yard within reason, you might consider going there and taking off a head as practice. Don't tell them that is what you are up to, just say you changed your mind.

Old 09-23-2011 | 11:29 AM
|
Pro Wrench

Yeah I figured it'd take a while. That's ok though. I'll do what I can when I can. I'm in no rush. Just want to get it done right.

Since it's got 160k miles, would it be wise to go ahead and replace the oil pump as a preventative measure? Is it much more work and money?