Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Discovery Alarm Sounds in Crank Position

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:52 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Discovery Alarm Sounds in Crank Position

This is my first post. I will try to be brief. I purchasedthis 97 discovery from charity auction knowing that it did not run. I checked the fluids and all seemednormal. The body and interior is in verygood condition and it is knee deep in rubber.

Now for the bad. The batterywas dead so I charged it and tried to start it and the alarm would sound. The remote does not work and I replaced thebattery in it. Did the unlock door threetimes with the key. That did notwork. I removed the door panel andtested the micro switch in the door.

I looked for the spider and could not find it. I did find the alarm box YWC105830 under theglove box. It looks like there has beentwo extra wires added to the alarm box. SoI am thinking that someone has added a non OEM alarm system.

So where should I start. Is there an aftermarket vender that I can send my ECM and Alarm and havethem tested and resinked with a new remote or should I go buy a lighter.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Overlanding

I despise my alarm system! But there are a few tricks I stumbled on that have worked for my Disco.

1st trick:
A). Sit in drivers seat (ensure hood is closed / all doors & windows are fully closed)
B). DO NOT put key in ignition!
C). Holding FOB next to ignition area, press the LOCKING butting on the FOB 5 times (with about 1-2 seconds between each press) (this is suppose to reset the FOB after new battery is put in the FOB)
D). Now try to unlock vehicle (while sitting in drivers seat) using the FOB unlock.
E). DO not try to start vehicle - stay in drivers seat.
F). Press the button on the FOB to LOCK the vehicle doors. (Let the alarm system fully cycle and wait till the lights/markers stop flashing)
G). Now put key in ignition. Try starting the vehicle. It should now start.

If it DOES NOT start: have 2nd person help with 2nd trick.

2nd trick: (mechanic in Germany showed this to me. Concept is to basically labotimize the security system by discharging all residual current in the entire system and resetting the security system)

A). With hood open - remove BOTH negative and positive leads to battery.
B). Sit in drivers seat, put key in ignition (while other person holds battery leads SEPERATED)
C). Have second person hold both negative and positive leads together. NOT touching actual battery post!!! Just up in the air.
D). Turn key to actual start position (as if you were trying to start the vehicle)
E). Turn ignition fully off and remove key.
F). Replace leads to battery.
G). Close/secure hood
H). While still sitting in drivers seat / lock doors with FOB (let security system finish cycle).
I). Now unlock vehicle with FOB
J). Now put key in ignition and attempt to start vehicle. It should start.

Hope this helps you. Has worked for me in the past.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default Thanks Chuck but still dead...

I did the Discovery Hoky Poky as Chuck suggested. I even put my left foot in and took my right foot out…. I think I may have gotten the wrong FOB with this Discovery or an aftermarket alarm. I have attached a couple of photos. Not owning one of these vehicles I am not sure what the FOB should look like.

I think it may have an aftermarket alarm system. I suspect that the blue wires going to the alarm box are not factory as well as the FOB. I can not see where the blue wires go without removing a few more parts. It does have an aftermarket radio in it.

If this is the case can I just order a couple of fobs and reprogram them with the alarm active?

If so where can I order them from?

Attached Thumbnails 97 Discovery Alarm Sounds in Crank Position-image.jpg   97 Discovery Alarm Sounds in Crank Position-photo.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Overlanding

Sorry the tricks I posted earlier didn't work out. They have on my disco. These vehicles are amazing, except for how finicky the alarm systems are!

I'm no expert, but the pic of your FOB looks like it is actually for a car. Especially since it has that button for remotely opening a trunk.

Hopefully one of the senior, more experienced, members on here can chime in and help resolve your situation.

If possible, track down original owner and ask about the alarm and blue wires - if possible.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance brother.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

can't help with the alarm issue, however, that is not the factory key fob. best place to start would be taking the alarm system back to stock. download a copy of the rave. it has all the manuals for the discovery 1 including the electrical and alarm.

the website below has everything you need.

landroverresource.com