Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Discovery oil consumption (6 litres 600km)

Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Winching
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Question 97 Discovery oil consumption (6 litres 600km)

Quick question:

Whole top end of my '97 discovery 5 speed 4.0L engine was rebuilt, PCV is clean, new head gasket professionally installed, new rear main seal, and a fresh change of fluids...

Drove 600km and the engine oil (Motul 5W40 full synthetic) was almost empty... Had to top up 5 litres.

Was smoking whitish smoke (coolant level has not moved since head gasket replacement), no oil on the ground...

Today we noticed the PCV hose was not connected to the intake... corrected that and smoking stopped.

Mechanic said I had no cylinder sleeves... A friend says I should have cylinder sleeves... Ideas on this?

Ideas as to what's going on with oil consumption?

Checked oil level when I got the truck back originally and was full. Engine bay was cleaned as the engine was removed... no oil anywhere inside the engine bay... checked underneath and above, and the back where the valve covers are... no oil, no leaks...

Really stumped as I filled the oil again today, drove 110 km and then checked the dip stick to find it was down about a litre

Ideas for me and my mechanic to figure out? He is taking it in on Wednesday to check plugs and do another inspection for leaks.

Thank you

Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...estions-46975/

I have no personal experience, but maybe the synthetic oil is your issue? I've used the Rotella dino-stuff and never had an issue. And to my knowledge, they're sleeved.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Going under the truck is a good place to look for oil leaks. New oil is so clean that it can be hard to see. Start with hoses that run to oil cooler, the front crank seal, the oil filter, the oil pan, etc. The Rover engines have cylinder sleeves and most mechanics not only know that, they prey upon the owners with the slipped sleeve issue. Oil smoke out the exhaust is not good.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Winching

Keoni004 - It is consuming oil, doesn't matter if it is dino-juice or synthetic at this point I know because I went with 5w30 dino after.

Savannah Buzz - Been under looking, touching and feeling but no dice

Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Check that your dipstick tube is down all the way. It can come loose easily.

Oil only has two places to go, burned, or leaked. If it's not smoking bluish white smoke, it must be leaking. Check your oil cooler lines and the radiator.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Check that your dipstick tube is down all the way. It can come loose easily.

Oil only has two places to go, burned, or leaked. If it's not smoking bluish white smoke, it must be leaking. Check your oil cooler lines and the radiator.
Took it to the mechanic yesterday when he caught the PCV valve tube not connected... but I will be leaving it with him tomorrow (Wednesday) for the day to inspect in his shop.

Hopefully it is something minor that we have missed.

Also found this thread which is similar regarding a range rover... talks about stuck or coked rings and seafoaming the engine and then the oil loss disappears.

Last edited by archaeology_student; 02-26-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If it is being burned a quick look at the spark plugs will tell you that, they wont be nice and clean, they will be dirty.
New gaskets and seals, thats where your oil is going, the new gaskets and seals are soaking up the oil.
Keep it full, it will stop.
But keep in mind if you change oil brands it will start again.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only 2 ways for an engine to use oil Burn It or Leak It. If You got a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust your engine is burning it. If the frame and under body of your Rover is shiny the engine is spiting the oil out of it. Check your oil filter. I put in a new oil filter and did not see that the old gasket was still stuck to the engine( it was dark and the brew was good) and I installed the new filter with the result of a oil leak made the under side of the Rover shiny. You engine has sleeves so don't let the bs's tell you anything else. If a sleeve is loose you will either loose coolent or find your oil looks like mellow yellow. Have fun with your Land Rover.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Winching

Spike555 & Woza

Thank you for the input and help

Mechanic looked at the plugs, and the passenger side were wet, but not as bad as when I brought it in originally.

He dropped the oil, and changed it to 20w50 and told me to keep an eye on it. If it continues to consume, he told me to bring it back.

I was mistaken with the new PCV, and he cleaned the original. We decided to order a new kit and replace, but to still keep an eye on everything.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The PCV has two sides. The passenger side has that little plastic baffle that can get clogged, it is supposed to suck oil vapor from the engine through there. But there is also a connection on the driver side, with no baffle. It is supposed to provide filtered air from the throttle body into the valve cover , through the engine and out the passender side to the waiting intake. It can be clogged as well, and make strange pressure and suction based on engine rpm, etc. Clean not only the route to the valve cover but also the the orifice it enters on the throttle body. Under certain conditions it sucks crank case vapor into the throttle body, which can also help your throttle butterfly become pretty dirty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Discovery oil consumption (6 litres 600km)