Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 D1 Starts / Runs Poorly when Cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 98 D1 Starts / Runs Poorly when Cold

Folks, I have a 98 D1 that is having cold start difficulties after sitting all night in the driveway. No problems all summer, but now that the weather here in Connecticut is dipping down around freezing every night I'm having difficulties getting to idle in the mornings. It starts right up with a healthy roar, but then the idle drops down to a few hundred rpm's and it hunts and surges for a minute or so before stalling out. If I give it some steady gas during this the rpm's pick up but it runs like crap and drops cylinders for a minute or so, then smooths out and runs beautifully for the rest of the day. No CEL, and all basic tuneup parts done recently with no effect.

Possibly unrelated, possibly related things that have come & gone and I have done nothing about.... P1178 code, cleared the code and haven't seen it return in over a thousand miles, and a few months ago it was losing power and sputtering while driving on the highway under light throttle, backing off on the gas and reapplying corrected the issue while driving and it hasn't done it in several months, again no CEL.

Any thought or direction would be much appreciated, thanks

Old 10-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Clean the throttle body and idle air control valve.
Check fuel pressure before starting in the morning.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

also ,try cleaning the MAF with "maf cleaner", do it when the maf is cold before you first start it. I had a similar issue last ear and ended up replacing the maf to cure it.
let us know how it goes

Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep an eye on this thread:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ar-cold-62195/

And I will keep on eye on yours. I am having a similar issue, except that my disco idles fine, but stalls when going into gear on a cold start. Once it it turned off and sat for a short period of time, it fires up and drives fine the rest of the day. Like you, the problem started when the cold weather started moving in.

I have cleaned the ICV and it was running fine for a few days, but now the problem has returned. We were thinking it was a temperature issue, but that looks fine. The MAF suggestion seems plausible (and cost effective) so I mat give that a try tonight.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Mudding

Interesting. Almost sounds the same, but if I can keep mine from stalling for a minute or two until it warms up a little, the idle smooths out on its own and settles right in where it's supposed to be and self regulates just fine. Annoying, but not earth shattering...yet..

Old 10-28-2013, 04:25 PM
5th Gear

Check your fuel filter and IACV. The low fuel pressure caused by an old filter can cause the P1178 intermittently as well as a rough idle. Your IACV may also be sticking. Check it for carbon buildup, clean it, and lubricate the shaft by pushing the sleeve down and lubricate shaft with a graphite based lubricant that will resist picking up dirt. Cleaning the MAF won't hurt either. Make sure to use a spray spefically designed for MAF sensors.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:27 PM
5th Gear

Also, how are your O2 sensors?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ajnolin
Interesting. Almost sounds the same, but if I can keep mine from stalling for a minute or two until it warms up a little, the idle smooths out on its own and settles right in where it's supposed to be and self regulates just fine. Annoying, but not earth shattering...yet..
I will clean the MAF to see if that makes any difference, but from what I can see through my logging is that coolant and air temperature are consistent and where they need to be. I will also clean the IACV once again and if that doesn't work, then perhaps a new IACV is in order.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Mudding

Fuel Filter, MAF cleaning, no difference. What I have noticed tho is that for a few minutes after it gets its act together and the idle kicks up to where it should be for a cold start it's running really really rich

Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Another thought. Perhaps there is moisture/water in the fuel system and it is or has thinned out or caused some issues?

Try a better fuel station, or do a full fill up of premium. I know that the ethanol blended fuels for regular and mid grade fuel actually draw moisture in. Premium is still premium without the ethanol

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: 98 D1 Starts / Runs Poorly when Cold