Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 Disco cut off and on ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Back for a moment: I was under the Disco and I removerd the wiring connector, but only drove it about 6 miles. Just wanted to see what it would do without the connection. I do understand I need to clean it or replace it. Just like playing with this to experiment. LOL Right, it does drive and the very first thing I noticed is the speedometer did not work. Maybe tomorrow I will take it out long enough to see if it acts up far as the cut offs. I have another issue with it that just started this week, Wednesday, never happened before but it went into the 'death wobble'. Just a few moments before I noticed a slight shimmey, I thought the wheels were stiff from not driving for almost a week. Any way, that is another couple of threads I already read through. That's why I did not want to go very far. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Last edited by reboot; 11-19-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Keep us updated please.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Mudding

I drove my Disco today the first time other than around the block on short test runs. It was 40 miles to the restaurant and back. With the VSS unplugged at the transfer case I had no cutoffs what so ever, actually seemed to run smoother than before (before the cut off would start). I did take out the VSS and cleaned it real good, though it did not look bad . Sprayed CRC in the view holes to wash out the shaft area. The nylon gear look real good. I want to make one more test drive then I will reconnect the VSS and see if it will work after cleaning or if I have to buy another one.
Two question:
1) I'm assuming it gets a bath in the transfer case with the transfer case fluid?
2) Since it controls the speedometer and Cruise control (rather sends data to the ECU) it seems the speedometer would have not worked correctly when it was acting up, unless my speedometer was not correct on the speed reading?

I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

All I know about the DI speedo is that it is off by 5mph, it reads fast but the miles are accurate, at least on mine.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Mudding

Hey Spike, I drove to town again, the 40 mile round trip, with the VSS unplugged and no problems. That was a good call. Thanks. I'm going to plug it back in and see how it works since I cleaned it. If it act up I get another one. (now I have to get my death wobble corrected LOL. I've been going through those threads) Thanks again

Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

There is a buffer circuit in the speedometer cluster that processes the pulses. It may clean them up so speedo works. Pix attached of what I believe may contain the buffer circuit. Perhaps when VSS is unplugged, the logic of causing engine over speed limiting is defeated, or some sort of "fall back" is initiated.

From RAVE:

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (X190) sends a signal to
the speedometer in the form of voltage pulses. The
pulses are filtered by a Vehicle Speed Sensor Buffer
inside the speedometer. The voltage alternates
between battery voltage and 0 volts 6 times per
wheel revolution. The speed sensor signal is also
sent to the Cruise Control ECU (Z121), Multifunction
Unit (MFU) (Z148) (Persian Gulf States), and the
Engine Control Module (Z132).

As to calibration of speedo, I'd trust a GPS first.

Attached Thumbnails 98 Disco cut off and on ...-p1120338.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Mudding

I re-connected my VSS and it started cutting off after about 12 miles. Today I took it back out (that last final hope of not spending $174 for one) and actually pulled the casing apart. Attached is a foto thumbnail. Click to enlarge. I'm not positive but when you buy a new one does it come with gear? If not that mucho money for this thing. One site had them just showed the black casing. Mine was sure getting wet inside and greasy grit or mud. Just above the ruler in the foto is the seal and that was all of it. The middle piece fits into the right piece of course. The middle piece has that ferrous wheel that excites the something in the right piece? where the connector is. Sorry is this a repeated message.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by reboot

I re-connected my VSS and it started cutting off after about 12 miles. Today I took it back out (that last final hope of not spending $174 for one) and actually pulled the casing apart. Attached is a foto thumbnail. Click to enlarge. I'm not positive but when you buy a new one does it come with gear? If not that mucho money for this thing. One site had them just showed the black casing. Mine was sure getting wet inside and greasy grit or mud. Just above the ruler in the foto is the seal and that was all of it. The middle piece fits into the right piece of course. The middle piece has that ferrous wheel that excites the something in the right piece? where the connector is. Sorry is this a repeated message.
Have you tried Will Tillery, Paul Grant, or one of the other parts guys for a cheaper option?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fishEH
Have you tried Will Tillery, Paul Grant, or one of the other parts guys for a cheaper option?

How oe where do I touch base with them?
I did try one of those junk yard sites 'we have over 100 sites affiliated' places and had one response who said he had my part, to call him. I called him and he didn't.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Mudding

I pulled my VSS back out again. The first time I cleaned it out I sprayed Lithium grase inside and sealed it back up. I still had my misfires. This time I cleaned it real good and took an exacto knife and cut the white rubber fill out on the inside from where the electrical connection mates. There's a glass encased (I believe magnet) and maybe a dioade under that stuffed in that small space. I didn't remove them because I did not want to destroy it. Anyway, I filled it back up with silicone and resealed the case with silicone and reinstalled it. I've put about 250 miles on it so far and it works fine. I think maybe the lithium grease shunted it out the first time I cleaned it ??

Quick Reply: 98 Disco cut off and on ...