Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 Disco sale help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slight update. I've sourced new engines for like 1-2k. Though I am pretty oblivious to what constitutes fair value for a new 98 disco engine. I'll probably go through with it because of how much I like the car.

My question is, how much should I expect to pay to have it installed. I'm not a mechanic and do not have the equipment to install the engine. So I know dealer prices will be high, but what about auto-shops. What should I be expecting? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

To have a indie shop install your used engine I would guessimate about $500 plus any parts, I would also have them replace all gaskets on the "new" engine as long as it was out of the truck.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:28 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I have a shop next to mine do install on things like engines, transmissions and transfer cases for my customers. He is very reasonable in his rates and he gets a lot more than $500 for a removal and reinstall (assuming the blown engine is still in the truck). I would expect to spend closer to $1000 as long as there are no complications.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by skatelove303
^who died and made this guy Rover Expert!?^

No offense Danny but your kinda rude and disrespectful. Its all cool to offer your opinion but its not ok to be a complete D*** about everything. Sorry if this is against LRforums rules but i think someone needed to say it.
Danny wasn't being rude, he was being honest.

Parts are not worth what you paid for them, brand new tires that you paid $1000 for and then drove 2 miles home are now worth about half that, thats just the way it is.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never claimed to be a Rover Expert, however Paul Grant could be considered one and he affirmed value of $500.00.

I am a 60 year old plain spoken, sometimes outspoken, Good Ole Southern Boy, Redneck In A Rover, Cracker, whatever you want to call me.

I do have a lot of work experience that the typical individual has not had much exposure to, unless you worked in everything from Cotton Mills, Aircraft Carriers Flight Deck Electrician, Manufacturing Methods Engineer, Reliability Engineer, Certified Quality Auditor, and Professional Management Consultant.

I was being straight forward. The gentleman asked for input which I provided. Who made you the "Miss Manners" of the forum?

If you do not like what I say or how I say, that is totally up to you. Please click on the link provided in my signature.

Anytime you spend money on anything, the only way to recover your money is to take it back with a receipt and ask for a refund from the seller.

Used tires drop in value immediately. The fact he paid a lot for the parts do not make them retain their value any more. Bottom Line Is He Has A Damaged Discovery That IS Going To Cost More To Fix Than It Is Worth.

And if he installs a used engine without attending to what it may need prior to installing it, he is really taking an even bigger risk. Since he asks about having a mechanic do it for him, he better have a lot of disposable cash.

Spike, thanks for your kind words. I beleive everyone was straight forwar with him. Apparently SkateLove does not have an appreciation and/or understanding of RedNeck Comedy. Do a search of "Blue Collar Comedy".

I nominate SkateLove for our new Position of" Manners Monitor". Anyone care to second the nomination so it can be Official?

Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by njcct84
Slight update. I've sourced new engines for like 1-2k. Though I am pretty oblivious to what constitutes fair value for a new 98 disco engine. I'll probably go through with it because of how much I like the car.

My question is, how much should I expect to pay to have it installed. I'm not a mechanic and do not have the equipment to install the engine. So I know dealer prices will be high, but what about auto-shops. What should I be expecting? Thanks in advance.

I sincerely think you must be referring to a used engine at that price. There are 3 categories
New, Rebuilt, USED AS IS.

Just ensure you know what you are buying, for you could very well not be getting what you may expect if you do not look closely before you buy.

A new one would be much more than 1 to 2 K. Check the websites and see what I am saying. There is a lot of sellers out there. Know what you are getting before you commit your money.

(I sincerely trust this will pass the Miss Manners Requirements so SkateLove won't call me a DICK again)

Old 01-30-2012, 04:43 PM

Just a few simple statememnts.
1. When your vehicle is damaged to that extent, the value is severely limited.
2. Adding your location often helps, as any one interested would also have to consider the cost of transpoting it to their location.
3. Even determing the cost to repair will require additional expenditures, severely limiting potential buyers.
4. The first offer you got was probably the best you will get as he has seen it first hand and I assume it is right there to turn over possesion therefore eliminating the cost of transportation.
5. Anyone that is not local is hampered by not being able to see it first hand. Also limiting potential buyers and the vehicles as is where is value to potential buyers.
6. As is, it is undrivable. To make it drivable will be somewhat costly, also decreasing its saleability.
7. An uninstalled items you bought, you may be able to return to the seller for highest value or resell to someone who is looking for one at a loss.]
8. It may be desirable as a Donor Vehicle also subject to transportation cost. I doubt if the 500 dollar value Paul Granbt stated would include the shipping.
9. I do not blame you for wanting our input. I am also sure it was not the high values and eager to buy responses you would have enjoyed.
10. It is unfortunate when you buy a vehicle, probably for a fairly high price, try to do all the best upkeep and then encountered a problem like you did. But a damaged vehicle is just that. It does not even have a legitimate Blue Book Value in POOR condition. So regardless of how much you spent, it is now just another damaged vehicle with very little resale value and a high repair cost. For you to insist it is worth so much more is actually an insult to the rest of us. If you want to sell it your best hope is if the LR Tech is still interested.
11. If you do choose to persue the repair I wish you the best, for your are truly embarking into what sounds to be a journey into the unknown since you basically will be at the mercy of whomever you find to do it for you if you are unable to do at least part of it yourself. But consider it a lesson in owning a Discovery. If you do get it down well, you have saved another old Discovery from the crusher. Best Wishes for your success.

I have been on here for a while now and this is not the first new person to come on board with a damaged vehicle that they feel is woth quite a bit and I am certain will not be the last such visitor. They rarely stay around very long and often do not get the answers they were hoping for. That's the reality of it.

SKATE: I found your response to be offensive. Please be more considerate in the future.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 01-30-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Putting a value on a truck that's crippled is kind of hard, it's honestly worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. That may be $3, it may be $1000, anyone putting a dollar amount on it is just giving an opinion as there is no way to correctly value a broken vehicle. Just because one guys says it's only worth x amount of dollars doesnt mean the buyer has the same opinion. I've paid three times what people say certain things are worth simply because I want something. I've also gotten top dollar for stuff most people would say is worthless because a particular buyer wanted exactly what I had. That being said head gaskets are easy to swap and only cost a little bit of green so if nothing else, it may be worth it to tear down the top half of the motor just to peek at things since the new owner will have to do the same anyway.

A used motor is a big risk and at $2,000 it's a big waste of money. All places claim they came from low mileage perfect running vehicles but good luck getting a refund if its crap, they'll blame it on the installer every time. You can take the 2 grand, add that to the fee of install by a qualified shop and you have more money that it would cost to just buy another one.

If you cant fix it yourself the best bet, if you have the time and room for it is to part it out. $500 is dirt in comparison to the value of parts. I you're gonna sell it for $500, I might buy it just to have $500 in fun watching it burn. I've seen guys pay that for a decent set of seats. You have to also consider that a person buying it who will fix it on their own and drive it will pay you a lot more than a guy who wants to part it out, they have to leave a ton of room or profit. The bad part is most guys buying broken vehicles are buying them to turn a profit in parts, that market has exploded because of the economy and flippers are a dime a dozen so be prepared to deal with that crowd. These things in running condition are still worth more in parts than they are whole so that route leaves money to be made if you have the resources.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate all your responses.

Danny- not trying to 'insult' anyone in these forums. I would not sell to anyone I met online... ever, unless we had previously met in person. So I'm not really insisting anything. I'm just trying to do granular due diligence to deviate value. Thought that would be pretty clear, but I'll hand hold on this one.

In terms of money, I couldn't care less. I almost bought a brand new Range when my disco died. That was until I got in the car and realized how new money/trashy the new fleet of rovers look. It is a damn shame. What the hell happened to this company? So, I'll probably dump like 5k into this 98 discovery to get it working again, just so I have it. Probably look to buy an Audi or something equivalent as an everyday type car.

In terms of location, I'm in Manhattan. So if people can't come there or transport from there, then God help them. As that is the center of the business/social/legal/etc. world.

Again, do appreciate you all taking the time to respond. On a side note, if anyone has a Def 90 with low miles and good body, that's something I'd like to talk about.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 PM

Well NJ, must be nice, very few of the rest of us have the kind of disposable income you must have to be in :In terms of location, I'm in Manhattan. So if people can't come there or transport from there, then God help them. As that is the center of the business/social/legal/etc. world

If you had stated all that we could have avoid trying to help with money saving do it yourself ideas. Manhattan may be the Center of it ALL, but it is also about the highest cost per sq inch in the NE USA at least. So we know you won't be tearing into yourself in a garage most likely.

If it is that nice, I would find the best qualified shop in the US to do it and send it to them to take care of.

You may think Manhattan is the Center of it all, but there are lots more people who have little if any desire to live in such a crowded, concretre jungle with how many millions of others?

It would be at the top of the List of Places to Avoid for lots of other people. But best wishes to you.

One more thing, after you do have it fixed, take care not to overheat the new engine and ruin it like the original one.

Quick Reply: 98 Disco sale help