Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 Disco sale help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012 | 08:49 AM
|
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Ok, it sounded awfully boorish at first, but I will give you credit for your humour, that is why I posted the Have fun.

I am sure if you are properly acclimated to that region and have the finances to truly indulge, then it must be wonderful. I still never cared for that kind of congestion on a daily basis.

Sorry if I didn't let that shine thru. Did you see the Benz 6.3 restoration that is at the first link I posted to Henry's Automotive? That would be an awesome car to have.
No worries.

I did take a look at the Benz. That car looks great. Though I like pre-2000s Benz, that blue Defender Henry's has is incredible. The owner took exceptional care of the car. I'm just trying to do some homework before contacting Henry's about the Defender.

He has the first Defender I've seen online that has peaked my interest. A lot of the Defenders on eBay just don't quite make the cut.

Thanks for the link

Old 02-06-2012 | 12:51 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by njcct84
Hi Honda,

Not surprisingly, it did not. The guy looked at me like I had 4 heads. I settled on 2k. Considering the car doesn't run, has minor dings/scratches, and the front bumper needs some repair, I'd say it's a good deal.

Will be delivering the car to his address once the money clears my account.
Remind me to never do business with you. Anyone that can feel comfortable making a deal like that is worth avoiding.

Old 02-07-2012 | 10:56 PM

I really enjoyed my 86 420SEL. But that 6.3 would be totally awesome. Yes the Defender was very nice also. There is a beautiful woman that drives a 110 ar0ound here that makes me drool.

Old 02-07-2012 | 10:59 PM

Poor guy, maybe he'll get it done for less than 10K before he finishes. The girl on the ukelele still has a great presentation. Hard to justify paying that much for a dead one.

Old 02-07-2012 | 11:18 PM
Pro Wrench

I really enjoyed my 86 420SEL. But that 6.3 would be totally awesome. Yes the Defender was very nice also. There is a beautiful woman that drives a 110 ar0ound here that makes me drool.
I hear beautiful women have that effect on old men

Old 02-08-2012 | 09:22 AM
|
4wd Low

Poor guy, maybe he'll get it done for less than 10K before he finishes. The girl on the ukelele still has a great presentation. Hard to justify paying that much for a dead one.
From some calls to junk yards, auto mechanics, etc. It seems as if you could get it running for around 7k. But I agree, I got lucky on that one.

In terms of the Defender 90. It is a car I've always wanted. My concern is that most of the 90s have 50k miles+. How long do those cars last? And yes, I'll take better care of the 90 than the disco...

Old 02-09-2012 | 10:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Remind me to never do business with you. Anyone that can feel comfortable making a deal like that is worth avoiding.
Haha give the guy a break, you cant honestly tell me if someone offered you 2 grand for a busted Disco you'd feel bad and cut the price in half. The guys that make a living parting these things make thousands in profit and pay dirt for them so this is just the opposite end of the spectrum. Nothing wrong with a parts guy paying $400 for one to make a huge profit, but all of a sudden theres something wrong with an owner selling something for more than most would pay? Why is it ok to sell a transfer case for more than you paid for the whole truck but its not ok to sell the whole truck for more than most think its worth? Both are taking advantage of the situation and if money can be made, why the hell not? Something is worth what someone is willing to pay anyway, if the guy thought it wasnt worth the 2k he would have left it alone. I personally would have thought you were on crack asking 2k for a broken Disco but I wont knock you a bit for selling it for any price, if someone is willing to pay it then its on them.

Old 02-10-2012 | 10:34 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
Haha give the guy a break, you cant honestly tell me if someone offered you 2 grand for a busted Disco you'd feel bad and cut the price in half. The guys that make a living parting these things make thousands in profit and pay dirt for them so this is just the opposite end of the spectrum. Nothing wrong with a parts guy paying $400 for one to make a huge profit, but all of a sudden theres something wrong with an owner selling something for more than most would pay? Why is it ok to sell a transfer case for more than you paid for the whole truck but its not ok to sell the whole truck for more than most think its worth? Both are taking advantage of the situation and if money can be made, why the hell not? Something is worth what someone is willing to pay anyway, if the guy thought it wasnt worth the 2k he would have left it alone. I personally would have thought you were on crack asking 2k for a broken Disco but I wont knock you a bit for selling it for any price, if someone is willing to pay it then its on them.
Yes, I would feel bad. And yes, I would not sell it without first explaining to them the actual value versus the amount they are offering to pay. I do have a conscience. And Karma is real, no matter what name you call it.

Old 02-10-2012 | 10:38 AM
TReK

The guys that make a living parting out vehicles are providing a service as well as a part. They are dumping their labor into the dismantling and being paid for it because others are not able to or willing to. They are not screwing people. If you don't want to pay a higher value for a t-case by itself, you have the option of purchasing a whole vehicle and parting it out yourself. Not everyone has the time or space to do that.(or access to donor vehicles)

Old 02-11-2012 | 08:57 PM

Eric, she's so hot , it's fun to chase her thru traffic. What did I do with that duffle bag with the duck tape and tie-wraps?

Yeah, hate to take advantage of people, but it does take two to tango and consumate a sell/deal/swap.

I would think 50 K is nothing on a Defender as long as it has not been badly abuused, but they are far from cars.

They are basically a stout farm truck, don't expect lots of fancy trim or amenities.

It may or may not even have a heater as well. They are working vehicles for things like expeditions and travel thru under devoloped areas where you may not have much more than a trail to follow.

Quick Reply: 98 Disco sale help