Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 Discovery immobilised

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 04:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 98 Discovery immobilised

Hello,

New member and Disco owner here. Took over a project for my dad, its a 98 Discovery Series 1 that has no key fob, nor factory radio, and will not start despite trying many of the immobilization overrides. The vehicle was running fine before a battery died for a next door neighbor, but now nothing after the battery change. I have verified the starter, fuel pump, alternator etc. Tried the 1515 EKA code, unlock/lock 3 times, ignition in position 2 then apply battery cables, etc. nothing seems to work. the driver door lock seems to operate fine, but i don't see/hear any indications of an alarm going off, or a reset working. There is also the sound from under the driver side dash of a relay that clicks continuously for several minutes, after the battery is reconnected

The one concern i can see is that the previous owner or mechanic routed around the starter relay, and installed a connection from the starter relay into the cab that i lose behind passenger side dash area, and the connectors that correspond to that int eh ignition are disconnect. Truck was running with that in place, so i didn't spend much time on that. I did jump the starter after draining older fuel and replacing all fluids, and started fine.

I called the LR dealer that is an hour away to try to get the original EKA, but they said they cannot find the vehicle in the database they use. My last report at this point, is to take it to them to help with removing the immobilized condition, as there are no mechanics in town that have any electronics to be able to interface with the ECM.

Any additional advice, tips, etc, would be appreciated. I like the vehicle, and would like to get it going again,

Old 02-21-2022, 05:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried the spider connector to bupass immobiliser module?

Old 02-21-2022, 05:06 PM
4wd Low

i have not tried that yet, as i saw conflicting guidance as to whether the Series I or more specifically the 98 had the spider unit. that unit is behind the radio portion of the dash ? I will search to learn how to bypass it. thanks for the idea

Old 02-22-2022, 05:09 AM
4wd Low

I did it on my 96 ,D1. It didn't solve my problem at the time but it deffo fits. Yes behind the stereo clock etc. Think you can pick the spider up for about £15. It was a genuine landrover part used for certain markets which did not allow immobilisers, it just caps the connection.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

north American discoverys dont have spider modules

Old 02-22-2022, 06:37 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Birminghamrover
I did it on my 96 ,D1. It didn't solve my problem at the time but it deffo fits. Yes behind the stereo clock etc. Think you can pick the spider up for about £15. It was a genuine landrover part used for certain markets which did not allow immobilisers, it just caps the connection.

Thanks, I will pick one up and give that a try. Does this also clear the condition, or will I still need to figure out how to unlock with an EKA or similar, and then this would prevent a reoccurrence?

Old 02-22-2022, 06:38 AM
4wd Low

Ah ok. What do the NAS cars have instead of the module ?

Old 02-22-2022, 06:43 AM
4wd Low

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...present-60539/

found this on past thread for car without spider module . This may help.

Last edited by Birminghamrover; 02-22-2022 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Where are you located?

It sounds like the immobilizer in the 10as is active, is there a solid red light on the dash? If not, check on the grey connector pin 11 - it should be at the top near the middle - i forget the wire color - on the 10AS and see if it is outputting voltage (I believe it sends out 12v and doesn't ground). It would be what shows if your truck is immobilized. With the starter being routed around, it seems like they may have bypass'd the 10as, Pin 10(grey connector) should be what receives an ignition signal from the key.

If that checks out, check for corrosion on the ECU under the hood (passenger side).

Like robert said, NAS trucks don't have the spider.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:55 AM
4wd Low

I am in southern New Mexico. No solid red light on the dash, it blinks every couple of seconds. I do get a fast blink at some point during the 1515 EKA entry process, but that is the only change i see. There are two connectors unplugged in the steering column, one appears to be tied to the starter relay based on the wiring colors. will need to check a manual. The other, not sure about yet. Here is a pic. Is it best to purchase a Hawkeye scanner to be able to see what is configured in the ECU, and possibly disable active immobilization. Or try looping the immobilizer as deicribed in the link above as a workaround ?

Quick Reply: 98 Discovery immobilised