Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 trouble starting

1998 Disco I V8 (petrol, NA), about 80,000 miles (original), most of the problems I have had with it in the 2-3 years since I bought it have been age-related. It looks like it was a snow-bird's car, since the previous 5 years only accumulated 5,000 miles, according to the Carfax.

Here is the problem (current). Almost religiously, it takes 2-4 cranks to actually start. This is worst in the morning, but does it sporadically throughout the day, hot or not. When I say cranks, it makes noise, but does not turn over the first 2-3 times, then usually will have one crank where it sounds like it is trying to start but is weak. The next one will actually start and run fine (no stalling while driving). No other major issues that we have noted, and it has not thrown a code in a month since I changed the plug wires.

I have replaced the IACV and the TPS, and cleaned the MAF and intake. Bottle of Seafoam in the tank after a new fuel pump (working fine, apparently good pressure, but a pressue gauge to check this is one of my next jobs). New air filter and plug wires. 3 of the boots had been split, 2 even had bad corrosion on the end opposite the plugs. No sign of issues with the plugs, but those are getting changed next. I have also checked the battery wires and grounds and don't see any obvious issues there. I am not much of an electrically-minded sort, so I am kind of lost when talking about reading voltage and amps and such.

Today, after reading the ultimate spider post and spending a couple of hours ripping apart my dash, I found out that that post only relates to up to 1996, not 97 or 98, which do not have the same spider unit, or in the same place. Another post said the spider on the 97/98 was a green box under the glove box, which I pulled, only to find out that that is actually the ABS module.

So, I have on my list to check fuel pressure, Crank Sensor, and spider (or what passes for it on the 98 D1) after I find it.

Does anyone see anything I missed in all of this, or have any thoughts? This thing is driving me nuts, but I love my Rover, and it is getting plenty of off-road time. Also, apologies for cross-posting to the major LR boards, in the event that some of you check only one or two of them. Thanks!