Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS Brake Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 05:17 PM
Winching
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default ABS Brake Bleeding

Ok, so I've had mushy brakes ever since I've put my truck on the road (84k miles and 6-ish years ago).
Looks like one needs to tickle the ABS module ro do it correctly. So, as the Masters of Smart at Solihull made it necessary for some electronical madness to be utilized to do it properly, what is the sequence of operation that the iland (?) makes the Walboro unit do? Thinking I might be able to do it manually.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:28 PM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hrhoward
Ok, so I've had mushy brakes ever since I've put my truck on the road (84k miles and 6-ish years ago).
Looks like one needs to tickle the ABS module ro do it correctly. So, as the Masters of Smart at Solihull made it necessary for some electronical madness to be utilized to do it properly, what is the sequence of operation that the iland (?) makes the Walboro unit do? Thinking I might be able to do it manually.
I'm not sure *I* understand your question, so I'll jump in first and buy you a bump. I believe the brakes in a D1 can be bled as you normally would bleed brakes in a ordinary vehicle. You don't need to use the ABS ECU or pump to remove the air or old fluid. Start with the caliper furthest away and move towards the closest to the pump, having an assistant press and hold the pedal while you release the screw. I did run across a way to short the pump but honestly it doesn't seem to buy you anything nor be required, so I'd avoid it unless I didn't have a pressure bleeder or assistant.

Any other input? I haven't actually done it myself yet but it's on the short list.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:07 PM
Winching
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Standard 'ol brake bleeding I've done countless times (I'm almost really old). I read a post from March '20 where ihscouts was saying something about it. The ABS solenoids and such, that is.

Last weekend I swapped the fronts over to some vented Defender hardware with new braided lines and replaced the pads all around. Even after a bloodletting, there was no improvement in the mush factor. Don't know what has happened but a day or so ago the pedal firmed up bigly and the brakes started acting better. I'm not going to complain about it.

Last edited by hrhoward; 09-26-2024 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-25-2024, 04:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for the reply,

I combed through the forum and found a thread where our good friend ihscouts mentioning the ABS modulator needs to be cycled.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...rebuild-99466/

D1 Brake Bleeding needs to cycle the ABS modulator

I have not cycled the ABS modulator and its fuse has been removed 5yrs ago. For the sake of a firmer brake pedal I will reconnect the ABS fuse to cycle the modulator; follow by using the old school 2 person bleeding.