Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Advice on off road mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may be off base but I just cant see the point in a 2" or 3" lift, you dont gain much ground clearance and you cant fit much larger tires under it so it weighs more on the pissing contest side of the arguement than actually serving a purpose. If it aint broke dont fix it as they say. Sure it looks cool but I'd be willing to bet a stock Disco in good mechanical shape with nice tires will go anywhere a lifted one will with no problems.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me but I just dont see a few inches making much of a difference, especially considering the cost. Seems like nice new tires and getting everything underneath in tip top shape would be a better area to spend money in if you want something that will take you anywhere.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
I may be off base but I just cant see the point in a 2" or 3" lift, you dont gain much ground clearance and you cant fit much larger tires under it so it weighs more on the pissing contest side of the arguement than actually serving a purpose. If it aint broke dont fix it as they say. Sure it looks cool but I'd be willing to bet a stock Disco in good mechanical shape with nice tires will go anywhere a lifted one will with no problems.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me but I just dont see a few inches making much of a difference, especially considering the cost. Seems like nice new tires and getting everything underneath in tip top shape would be a better area to spend money in if you want something that will take you anywhere.
a 3" lift with 35's will net you 6" of body lift over stock height. im guessing this is your first off-road vehicle. 6" of clearance on the frame is a great advantage to a stock truck. The 35's will net you 3" of axle clearance. 3" might not sound like a lot but when on a rocky trail it can easily make a world of difference. combine the lift with a bumper front and rear that give you better approach angles and your truck is significantly better.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994

Hahaha. A three inch lift with bigger tires makes an unbelievable amount of difference. The capability of the truck goes up exponentially. When you start driving rutted tracks and jamming your diff into rocks and getting high centered you'll be missing that lift and tires then. You can fit a 35" tire with 3" lift. That's a 6" tire difference from some stock tires. There's no way to draw similarities between a stock truck and a lifted one with good tires. None.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I only watched the first truck. But you can't do this with no lift.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmrr8...e_gdata_player

Old 01-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by turf63
I did my lift and all that on as much of a budget as possible. While eric was trying to help you what he said is not entirely true. The magic number with our trucks tends to be 3". You can lift your truck 3" (although, the rotoflex rear drive shaft may be the limiting agent in your setup) without any driveline issues. It's when you go beyond that, things get squirrely. The cheapest lift you can get is roughly 2" (sometimes 1.75, sometimes 2.25) from the toyta fj80 spring lift (search akdisco or fj lift) and that'll run you about 80$ for 2.x inches. It doesnt get any cheaper than that. If you wanna throw good money at it, ed is right, go to lucky8 and get the terrafirma HD kit here. Thats the best moeny you could throw at it for new parts. Having said that, eric is right about getting it good tires and you'll be surprised. Trim the front air dam down and find some used 31-33" tires (after you put your lift in) on a forum or get em off paul grant or will tillery when he gets a loaded truck in. Thats the best and cheapest way to do it right, stay away from the spacers. After you see what the truck can do you can talk about dropping sway bars and things of that ilk. I'd DEF replace/fix you lt230 (t-case) that thing makes a world of difference.
1) fix the tcase
2) lift: 80$-700$
3) trim fenders (camel cut) and air dam - free
4) Get big kid tires-$400?

now you're way ahead of the curve

Go enjoy your truck

Great advice! Thanks a bunch!

That kit looks like a winner, I’m still going to assume I need new brake lines and like I said before I should probably replace them anyway.

I guess if I search “camel cut” or “finder trim” I can find instructions for trimming the fenders?

The TC, I don’t know dick about these transfer cases. I’m very mechanically inclined and a good mechanic but honestly I’m just not real familiar with this platform yet. This thing was a DDer for the wife but now it’s going to be 95% off road. Is there a certain TC I should be looking for or just a plain stock one from an applicable year? Did they change any (some better than others)? Are there any modifications I should do before installing it?

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
A stock Disco that is running right with a functioning transfer case (CDL) and good tires is better than a screwed up one with any kind of kit on it!

Get it functioning correctly, replace springs and shocks, especially if they are original, forget spacers and such. Do as much as you can yourself and you will be much happier with it in the long run.
Edit: oh yeah, CDL?

Don’t worry, I’m going to make sure it’s functioning well before I drop the money on a bunch of stuff.

Yeah the spacers are definitely out for me now. Thanks

Originally Posted by honda50r
Tires.

Also, I'm on the mobile version so I can't see. Where in Tennessee are you?
I'm in Oliver Springs you might have heard of Windrock Mountain. If not I'm near Knoxville.

Originally Posted by turf63
Hahaha. A three inch lift with bigger tires makes an unbelievable amount of difference. The capability of the truck goes up exponentially. When you start driving rutted tracks and jamming your diff into rocks and getting high centered you'll be missing that lift and tires then. You can fit a 35" tire with 3" lift. That's a 6" tire difference from some stock tires. There's no way to draw similarities between a stock truck and a lifted one with good tires. None.
My main concern is bashing it on some of the rocks around here. I can’t have my buddies with Jeeps pulling me out.

Last edited by green-lantern; 01-17-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$530 and you are out the door with a capable lift kit.

Terrafirma Coil Spring Kit Heavy Load for Defender 90, Steering & Suspension Parts

Terrafirma Shock Kit - Pro Sport +2" for Defender 90, Steering & Suspension Parts

OME are very capable kits as well. I agree with the above; fix your T-Case and take out the truck to see what it can do first, but at that age and mileage, your stock suspension is probably quite worn out anyway.

You really dont NEED bigger tires, but if your tires are worn out, you may as well go with a larger set.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Mudding

Tires are done for. I need something much more mud/trail worthy anyway.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 01-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx

Are you running these? They look pretty good.

Anybody know anything about these?

4 NEW LT 265 75 16 MUD HOG TRUCK TIRES 75R16 R16 2657516 Load Range C 6 PLY M/T | eBay

Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the deal-> Putting a TerraFirma 3" suspension kit on a D2 from Lucky8 is the way to go, just make sure you understand what you are ordering. Medium, and Heavy Duty shocks and springs have about a 1" difference in actual ride height. Also the D2 comes from the Factory with enough brake line to put up to a 3" spring and shock swap (Just un-mount the Brake and ABS lines off the frame). I will post pics later to show how all this works! Also I just put on the NEW Goodyear MT/R's with KEVLAR... I know people hate this tire and thats fine too, but I ran the BFG MT's a few years back and this NEW GoodYear tire is BY FAR superior to that LOUD LOW MILEAGE POS‘s!!!

Quick Reply: Advice on off road mods