Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Advice on off road mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by honda50r
But sweet man, I'm just an hour south of you, in Athens. (Check the back of your Mayfield's Milk Carton). I wheel with an FJ, TJ, and a Cherokee. We're considering a day trip to Windrock when everything lines up. I need to get your number, we can go riding pretty often if you'd like
Hell yeah, sounds good, I hope to have this thing ready for action pretty soon.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by turf63
As far as the T-case, you dont need to FIX it, odds are, if it's having issues that mean gear oil neglect, possibly rounded teeth and shavings in the case itself. You can pop the inspection plate and have a gander, if it looks like you can bring it back to life with some new gear oil then give it a go. otherwise just buy a known functioning one off a recylcer. They're not terribly pricey and they go in fairly easily.
As far as the lift goes (obviously im biased) i'd say get 2.5" for cheap, i left my stock shocks with that lift initially, otherwise, get the three inch kit from Lucky8, if you get a two, and it'll be a 95% trail truck, i GUARANTEE you'll be back to buy that extra inch later. Max out your lift straight away. get as near three inches as you can for your budget, then find someone elses used mudders on a for sale section. The tread wrights are great, i dont know anything about the ones you posted, but if you're gonna go new. Re-treads are cheap and proving to be good tires. Yeah, a camel cut is easy, search it, i actually need to do a bigger one asap. The fender is alumnium down there, you could probably kung fu chop it off if you tried hard enough.

Hit me up if you have any questions and i'll immediately refer you to someone who knows what the hell they're talking about. Im new to the game, just like you. Got into it because certain things needed to be fixed, then there were things i wanted to fix, then it was just because it was fun, now, im doing all sorts of silly stuff in it. Look at Ed (hil toppers) videos and pics from our pine barron trip this weekend.

L'chaim
Thanks man, I appreciate it, I’ll check out the videos and I'll probably take you up on that.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Mudding

Found my transfercase, $200 with < 90K on it. Local

Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant beat that, every one I see around here is $500+.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the camel cut if you need it, I don't see why you couldn't get bigger tires under a stock suspention with just a camel cut. You can add a lift later if you wanted to. https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ighlight=camel
I've taken my stock truck with street tires about as far as I would ever need to go, the biggest concern for me with stock setup was being high centered when cresting a hill or over a mound. Keep in mind on a trail where offroaders usually travel the crests of the hills are worn down by other rigs draging bottom over them, so all you have to do is be at least eqivalent with the lowest vehicle which goes over it.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by tweakrover
Here's the camel cut if you need it, I don't see why you couldn't get bigger tires under a stock suspention with just a camel cut. You can add a lift later if you wanted to. https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ighlight=camel
I've taken my stock truck with street tires about as far as I would ever need to go, the biggest concern for me with stock setup was being high centered when cresting a hill or over a mound. Keep in mind on a trail where offroaders usually travel the crests of the hills are worn down by other rigs draging bottom over them, so all you have to do is be at least eqivalent with the lowest vehicle which goes over it.
Thanks man, that thread cleared up a lot of my questions. You basically just cut the back of the fenders, not the front?

Tires will be bought before the lift. I want to go pretty big though so hopefully they will fit and not rub too bad.

BTW, does anybody know if the Disco shares the lug/bolt pattern with any other vehicles? If I find a set of wheels and tires that fit I might buy them. Something wider or more of an offset.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Mudding

The transfercase was a bust I pulled the cover off (I almost didn't) and started feeling down in it and it was full of metal chunks.

The poor guys that pulled it off were pissed. "It took me and bubba 5 hrs to pull that thing off"

Last edited by green-lantern; 01-20-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by green-lantern
The transfercase was a bust I pulled the cover off (I almost didn't) and started feeling down in it and it was full of metal chunks.
Those chunks are gear seeds...it self regenerates.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Those chunks are gear seeds...it self regenerates.

LOL I wondered for a second if this was normal wear for a land rover.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 PM

It is normal wear for a LR that has never had the diff's serviced! Good thing you looked at it first.

Go ahead and drain yours and see what it looks like with inspection plate removed, then decide whether you really need a different one. Any used one will vary in condition and wear.

They can be purchased reasonably but shipping gets expensive.

Quick Reply: Advice on off road mods