Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Advice on off road mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turf63
Hahaha. A three inch lift with bigger tires makes an unbelievable amount of difference. The capability of the truck goes up exponentially. When you start driving rutted tracks and jamming your diff into rocks and getting high centered you'll be missing that lift and tires then. You can fit a 35" tire with 3" lift. That's a 6" tire difference from some stock tires. There's no way to draw similarities between a stock truck and a lifted one with good tires. None.
All I was saying is from a money standpoint on a truck that sounds like its falling apart anyway, a lift is pointless, at least until you cure all of the other problems. A tired motor and t case arent going to hold up to long when put under even more stress from a lift kit.

I'm sure that extra 6" is great under extreme circumstances but I have yet to find a place my stock Disco can not go. Granted there are some extreme trails out there where one would benfit from a lift, I'm just not sure the vast majority of enthusiasts will come across those conditions often.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
All I was saying is from a money standpoint on a truck that sounds like its falling apart anyway, a lift is pointless, at least until you cure all of the other problems. A tired motor and t case arent going to hold up to long when put under even more stress from a lift kit.

I'm sure that extra 6" is great under extreme circumstances but I have yet to find a place my stock Disco can not go. Granted there are some extreme trails out there where one would benfit from a lift, I'm just not sure the vast majority of enthusiasts will come across those conditions often.
No you are correct that the truck needs to be mechanically sound before I throw money at other crap. I'm pretty much on top of that though. Other than TC, radiator and general maintenance it should be good to go. I am a tad bit concerned about the head gasket but people know me as being very **** about things. I'm prepared to do the HG work if needed. This isn't the stock engine, I installed it after the wifey ran the old one out of oil. I've even kicked around the idea of an engine swap. I'm no stranger to big modifications on cars though.

This has been my main toy for a while. It was a base model 95 3000GT but I did a TT AWD conversion and engine build.

Name:  DSCF8560.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  DSCF8556.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  107.4 KB

I love that car, she will be jealous I'm spending money on the land rover.

The trails around here? I'll definitely need some lift. I live next to one of the most popular places for off road in probably 500 miles. I've spent most of my motoring life off road, dirt bikes, rail buggies and 4X4. I've been away for a few years but now it's calling me back.

I'm getting excited about it. wOOt

Old 01-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Mudding

WTH two more pics

Name:  DSCF8559.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:  DSCF8566.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  115.8 KB

I spy LR in the background.

For anyone interested you can see that build thread here.

3000GT / Stealth / GTO - AWD conversion/engine build

Old 01-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Well then I would work my way thru the issues, make sure the Central Diff Lock is working properly, then I would go with the OLD MAN EMU springs and shocks myself and some badass tires and have at it.

Love that 300GT. It would be wild to have that kind of power in a Discovery!

What is that on the front of the 3000GT??????

Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

What is that on the front of the 3000GT??????
That would be the intercooler if you mean the radiator looking thing.

It's about 400 AWHP right now but I'll get about 500 this spring.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
... but I have yet to find a place my stock Disco can not go.

Look Harder

Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

As far as the T-case, you dont need to FIX it, odds are, if it's having issues that mean gear oil neglect, possibly rounded teeth and shavings in the case itself. You can pop the inspection plate and have a gander, if it looks like you can bring it back to life with some new gear oil then give it a go. otherwise just buy a known functioning one off a recylcer. They're not terribly pricey and they go in fairly easily.
As far as the lift goes (obviously im biased) i'd say get 2.5" for cheap, i left my stock shocks with that lift initially, otherwise, get the three inch kit from Lucky8, if you get a two, and it'll be a 95% trail truck, i GUARANTEE you'll be back to buy that extra inch later. Max out your lift straight away. get as near three inches as you can for your budget, then find someone elses used mudders on a for sale section. The tread wrights are great, i dont know anything about the ones you posted, but if you're gonna go new. Re-treads are cheap and proving to be good tires. Yeah, a camel cut is easy, search it, i actually need to do a bigger one asap. The fender is alumnium down there, you could probably kung fu chop it off if you tried hard enough.

Hit me up if you have any questions and i'll immediately refer you to someone who knows what the hell they're talking about. Im new to the game, just like you. Got into it because certain things needed to be fixed, then there were things i wanted to fix, then it was just because it was fun, now, im doing all sorts of silly stuff in it. Look at Ed (hil toppers) videos and pics from our pine barron trip this weekend.

L'chaim

Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by turf63
Look Harder
X2!!!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose as long as its reliable and you dont mind hacking it up to gain a few inches, go for it. I was mainly getting at making it reliable how it sits before going all Jeep on it. Vehicles that are on deaths door dont really respond to modifications well but most folks ignore the obvious problems, toss on every bolt on available and then wonder why the car falls apart. Like stated before it's not a Jeep, these things are very capable from the factory. They do have their limitations but it takes a good bit of searching the trails and a really skilled driver to find them.

To me it would be a matter of my vehicle and driving ability being maxed out before I'd consider a lift to take things to the next level. There are plenty of guys with Rovers modded to the max who cant drive and get shown up by bone stock street queens on the trails, just keep that in mind. Where I live a stock one is more than enough but as for other parts of the country I can see why you'd need a little more ***** to take on the trails.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess if I search “camel cut” or “finder trim” I can find instructions for trimming the fenders?
Yes, Google.

I'm in Oliver Springs you might have heard of Windrock Mountain. If not I'm near Knoxville.

But sweet man, I'm just an hour south of you, in Athens. (Check the back of your Mayfield's Milk Carton). I wheel with an FJ, TJ, and a Cherokee. We're considering a day trip to Windrock when everything lines up. I need to get your number, we can go riding pretty often if you'd like

Quick Reply: Advice on off road mods