Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

AEL to non AEL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AEL to non AEL?

Is it possible to swap out the Advanced Evap Limit filler pipe with a non-AEL unit in case by bro-in-law runs across another one to scrap? My 98 still takes gas at a mere drizzle and the gas pump shuts off at any flow above that. I've tried the "carb cleaner in the little vent holes" thing several times with no improvement and gas fill ups are a real PITA. Would I have to replace the fuel pump for a non-AEL unit too?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain, had this happen to me for awhile, sometimes it would fill fine, other times it would take me an 30 minutes to fill up.

I replaced vent hoses, which didn't really help, but after I replaced my whole AEL fuel pump unit (for other things not working either) I haven't had it happen since.

Sorry if that isn't very helpful but my thought is that the EVAP sensor on the tank talks to the EVAP purge valve and EVAP canister vent solenoid in the engine bay.

If you have the Rave look on pages 279 through 281

Old 04-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

My '98(AEL) filled up no problem.
My '96(non-AEL) is always clicking off when I try to put gas in it. I find rolling the collar back on the pump helps, as does shoving the nozzle as far down the fill tube as possible. I don't think its an AEL thing.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redrover99
I feel your pain, had this happen to me for awhile, sometimes it would fill fine, other times it would take me an 30 minutes to fill up. I replaced vent hoses, which didn't really help, but after I replaced my whole AEL fuel pump unit (for other things not working either) I haven't had it happen since. Sorry if that isn't very helpful but my thought is that the EVAP sensor on the tank talks to the EVAP purge valve and EVAP canister vent solenoid in the engine bay.

If you have the Rave look on pages 279 through 281
Originally Posted by fishEH
My '98(AEL) filled up no problem.
My '96(non-AEL) is always clicking off when I try to put gas in it. I find rolling the collar back on the pump helps, as does shoving the nozzle as far down the fill tube as possible. I don't think its an AEL thing.
Doing some reading in the D1 and Range Rover manuals (the RR is more detailed) I find there is an "anti trickle valve" on the filler neck that is activated mechaniucally by the little flap in the top of the neck to close off the vent line to the EVAP canister. With that line closed off the only vent is an "internal fill breather" near the tank and perhaps my internal fill breather is clogged.

I can feel resistance in the flap near the end of its movement that must be it pushing the anti trickle valve, so next time I fill up I will try holding the pump nozzle just barely in the neck to see if I can fill it without closing off the EVAP canister vent or maybe using a funnel with a small neck that won't push the flap all the way open. Guess I could also try blowing backward from the EVAP canister to see if the AT valve is actually working.

From the descriptions of all involved in removing the filler neck, I think trying to check the internal fill breather will be the last resort. I am so glad big brother wanted to save me from putting too much gas in my tank...or sometimes any at all.