Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Air Box Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:56 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Restriction in flow is directly related to the size of the tubing, so just because it travels a long tube doesn't mean you have less flow.

Danny, if all you want is cooler air, which wouldn't be bad really, you could just pipe your filter box horn to the grill.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, and elbows can have an impact, to a lesser degree. I was about to suggest that unless the goal is reduction of water intake whilst wading, consider the $20 cone filter (knock off K&N) and remove airbox - as a test. Seems like the most restriction is that trumpet on the air box, which can also pop off I believe. Of course, cold water entry to the hot wire MAF sensor is NOT good. And plumbing to inside the cab - very noisy, and backfires are most uncomfortable while trying to listen to anger management CDs.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
Just to clarify by counter productive I mean its pointless as far as gaining any amount of power, cold air is great but when it has to come from 3x as far away its useless. The shorter the distance the air has to travel through the tubing, the better.

As far as those remote mounted turbo kits, those are for lazy people who cant fabricate. Small displacement turbo engines have enough problems spooling fast enough, one can only imagine what adding 30 feet of tubing to the equation does.

your first point is not entirely correct.

as for your second point, the insane amount of plumbing and pressure drop - as well as energy loss in the exhaust stream - is the reason these are usually only fitted to large displacement engines. still a very poor solution IMO...

Old 11-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW.....you can get a turbo with no lag....variable trim/vane. These were coming into the market when I was heading out of it.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Winching

the level of controls sophistication required to properly use those in an aftermarket installation would be pretty high...

and still doesnt get around the losses that are inherent in mounting your turbo 8-10ft behind your engine.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Yes, and elbows can have an impact, to a lesser degree. I was about to suggest that unless the goal is reduction of water intake whilst wading, consider the $20 cone filter (knock off K&N) and remove airbox - as a test. Seems like the most restriction is that trumpet on the air box, which can also pop off I believe. Of course, cold water entry to the hot wire MAF sensor is NOT good. And plumbing to inside the cab - very noisy, and backfires are most uncomfortable while trying to listen to anger management CDs.
I did this exact thing on my '96 and DID see an increase in response, slight, but an increase.

Of course, it also sounds a lot better too....

Too bad sound does not equal performance.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am happy to see all the commentary. I have yet to do much in the way of warter crossing except one big puddle at the start of a great trail ride. I was looking to improve the quality (cleanliness and coolness) of the everyday air supply to make the best of it in a reasonable fashion.

Piping it to the grill area is something I have sort of been kicking around or some type of simple scoop possibly using that clear area right in front of the windscreen pretty much right in front of the driver. The grill piping reminds me of the 427 ThunderBolt that produced with the 64(?) Falcon by turning the two middle headlights into air scoops.

I did see one of the K&N Cone kits that had a variety of curved input pipes in different colors and configurations as well as a black heat deflector made to replace an air box at Pep Boys, but I would rather mod the existing airbox by removing the cone, fitting a larger tube routed right up to my expanded metal double layer grill replacement.

I gotta get a camera working or buy a new one or bite the bullet and go 4G so I can post some pics soon.

Recent Stuff Done
Cutty Sark Wooden Case Console
Expanded Metal Double Layered Grill Replacement
Washed The Pig

Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Seems like I saw a pix of some D2 factory option for Gulf models where the intake is folded into the left front "wing" above the tire. Remember, if you use dryer hose or whatever to bring air from the front of the vehicle you will also be bringing rain, bugs, etc. My Mercedes W124 was built for the autobahn, and does have an air tube from air cleaner to front area, but it is offset from grille to the side, so bugs hit the condenser instead. I suspect at 100 mph plus speeds the ram air impact could be there. Mud bogging - not so much.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So much to ponder. All good points. I think I may sign up for some classes at the local VoTech and see what I can come up with. Maybe a big megaphone scoop.

If you had a large intake horn necked down to a reduced diameter with some filtration to keep the bugs out, wouldn't the change in diameter result in a increase in air velocity or is my rationale all screwed up. It would have to affect velocity and/or pressure. I am sure someone will correct me if I am inversely incorrect or just downright wrong.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the camera. take the class.

Quick Reply: Air Box Upgrade