Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Air intake temp, engine temp, snorkle

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake temp, engine temp, snorkle

Just got an ultra gauge cuz I noted my temp gauge rise just above midline the other day when I left the truck parked for 20min or so and Ac going full blast. The little needle hovered above the wavy water lines and dropped right back down after I turned the Ac off and drove away. UG reads temps up to 210 around town and air intake temp up to 160. It's about 90 degrees here in Albuquerque. Wondered if intake air temp correlates with engine running temp, and has anyone seen lower running temps with a raised air intake? Anybody have before and after numbers after installing a snorkle? This is kind of an academic question, I understand healthy cooling system is the most important issue.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'Just got an ultra gauge cuz I noted my temp gauge rise just above midline the other day when I left the truck parked for 20min or so and Ac going full blast.'

Seems exactly, perfectly normal to me as there was no cooling flow over the engine as when you are driving.

Those temperatures you mention are quite OK because it is a pressurised cooling system and low speed / no speed in summer Moab will cause that.

The inlet air temperature does not have so much effect on combustion temperature and the resultant engine temperature. If you had NO cooling air sucked through the radiator (where the engine coolant is being cooled) the engine would become very hot. If the fan sucks hot air, but at least somewhat cooler than the coolant in the radiator, the engine will be warmer than when very cold air is is doing the cooling.

Your accurate gauge was just accurately displaying the laws of physics regarding air flow and heat exchange.

The snorkel causes all kinds of restrictions and internal turbulence to the cooling air and is not reccommended for normal use - its original design was to move the air intake above where water can ingress when crossing flooded river passings in Africa.

Last edited by MonteroMan; 06-17-2014 at 03:12 PM.