Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

airtec fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Old 12-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories and RovahFarm - Parts for Land Rover Cars and Accessories - Land Rover Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Land Rover Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series are 2 place's I can recommend and I have bought many parts from both.
Rovahfarm is cheaper and slower because he uses flat rate USPS shipping, AB is great because you can choose your shipping option and they have a no hassle return policy, although I have never returned anything to them.
I am willing to pay more to buy from a supplier I can trust.

I bought my fuel pump from AutoZone, they price matched Advance Auto, it was still $600 but it came with a lifetime warranty.
I've ordered tons from AB. They are what they are....most everything in stock, easy to order, pricing varies....no real customer service. They just changed their shipping software and I'm having problems with the PR thing but I can probably talk to someone there. I looked at Rovafarm yesterday and they look interesting. I like BPUtah also but they don't usually have something I need.

If I was an independent parts supplier I'd kiss the *** of a couple guru's here and then get them to promote me while I screwed a good chunk of the customer base.

I've had success with Autozone/Advance. $600 for the pump sounds brutal.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: If I was an independent parts supplier I'd kiss the *** of a couple guru's here and then get them to promote me while I screwed a good chunk of the customer base.

I don't think that sort of thing would last long on this site, where are great many members know the difference between chicken salad and chicken ... steak. There are lots of suppliers, plus dismantlers, plus eBay and parting out situations. On here, people will take a supplier to the woodshed quickly and with little mercy. If you have 600 views of a complaint post, and let's assume that 50% of them were repeat views, that is 300 owners. Assume 50% of those vote with their wallet to avoid a hassle with a particular vendor. That's 150 potential purchases, at say $150 each, with $30 profit (maybe) per sale for the vendor. So $4500 lost by one complaint. And to make that up that volume lost, they have to increase sales by $22,500. Moral - screw DIY guys at your own risk. A Rover that a'int running allows the owner time to plead his case in the court of public opinion. Ship him the right parts (inside sales people that know what they are selling), the right way (FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc.) that works for the customer, charge a fair price (one that makes a profit, so you can stay in business to help us the next time), and have a simple and fair return policy - and that owner won't have time to complain. And he won't tell too many people about it at one time, but the word of mouth will get out there.

Also, I suspect that the personalities involved here tend to move away from that sort of influence. But I will point out that chocolate covered donuts are the best business bribe, they eat all the evidence...

Old 12-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan

I've had success with Autozone/Advance. $600 for the pump sounds brutal.
It was a hard pill to swallow at the time, but I have had zero problems with it, installing it and whatever.
My wife went to buy it in the morning, they had to have it transferred from another store.
She picked it up that afternoon, the guy opened it to see if it was made of gold lol because it cost so much.
The next day I installed it, truck fired right up and has been good ever since, that was 3 years or so ago.
At the time that was the best price, AB wanted $600 plus shipping and only a 12? month warranty.
I got a lifetime warranty so the fuel pump should outlast my truck.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good on ya Spike. You can check that off your list with confidence and don't need to second guess every trip with is it gonna fail. One failure on a cheapie fix and it'll cost more than the proper solution.

And Sava...sorry if I offended...yes I am a hater of one particular vendor and I have trouble controlling myself. My situation is not an anomaly and is not a question of geographical location, miscommunication, etc. I didn't flame cuz it's not my style so I should not say anything which I've been mostly able to do.

On to better stuff.