Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Alarm Issue? Hit a bump, doors unlock, lights flash...!!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Normally it's the hood's alarm switch when the hood bounces that sets off the hazards, like running over train tracks. Adjusting the hood stops did the trick for me and a couple of others on another forum.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Humm....I will take a good look at that. The PO actually did not align the hood properly...

Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
Humm....I will take a good look at that. The PO actually did not align the hood properly...
No it was the factory that aligned it wrong. lol

Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same problem several times before. Mine goes off on the same stretch of washboard road every time. But the fuel doesn't cut off and nothing happens when I press the reset button on the firewall ( not tripped). I unplug the green relay while the truck is still running, turn it off, plug it back in, and start it back up- everything fine till I hit some more washboard. I hated washboard roads before- now I despise them.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 AM
Camel Trophy

Make sure the stops are adjusted to keep it tight, they should have rubber bumpers, turn to raise or lower. The hood should be tight, no movement but not so tight it's hard to latch or bowed. Common sense tight. You might have to readjust the hood release otherwise the hood release will be difficult to open with the cable.

If the hood bounces when going over sharp bumps, on the highway due to wind or when a semi passes by then it's too loose. These are the conditions I witnessed when I had issues. I haven't had another repeat episode since I raised the bumps to hold the hood steady.

My truck is a dd and I don't pamper it, I'm tough on it (lead foot as Spike can attest) and drive on mixed roadways everyday, gravel with plenty of wash-boarding, asphalt with pot holes and lousy road patching.

No electrical involved. Sclarkie, all you need to do is turn the ignition off and then back on and the alarm resets, that is a correct statement in the Rave. As a matter of record the truck doesn't need to be stopped to reset the alarm. If no traffic is present you can put the truck in neutral, turn off and then restart, motor on down the road like nothing happened.

Last edited by ihscouts; 03-30-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of washboards(on paved road) that every time I hit them, the hood pops up but the engine does not die. I pull over, put her in neutral leaving the engine idling, push the hood back down in place and drive off. So I can't see how the hood switch will kill the engine, unless it only does that to automatics that are in gear.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Camel Trophy

No, sets the hazards off and unlocks the locks. Who said the engine dies? I have an auto. It runs just fine if you don't mind the hazards going off, the hazard switch is dead and everyone is staring at you. In order to turn off the hazards (hazard are being controlled by the AS10) the ignition needs to be cycled. I'm no expert, just a reporter of what fix worked for me and two others. None of us have had repeats. One guy had it happen everyday when he went across train tracks twice a day. He adjusted his hood stops and reported nothing happened after that when going over the tracks. Besides not having an embarrassing repeat hazards performance at least I can say my hood doesn't flutter when a semi passes me going the other way on a two lane highway. Is your hood switch even connected? You'd know it if you reconnect your battery with the hood open and your finger not pressing the hood switch.......lol. Fix your hood latch too.

Last edited by ihscouts; 03-30-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:58 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
No, sets the hazards off and unlocks the locks. Who said the engine dies? I have an auto. It runs just fine if you don't mind the hazards going off, the hazard switch is dead and everyone is staring at you. In order to turn off the hazards (hazard are being controlled by the AS10) the ignition needs to be cycled. I'm no expert, just a reporter of what fix worked for me and two others. None of us have had repeats. One guy had it happen everyday when he went across train tracks twice a day. He adjusted his hood stops and reported nothing happened after that when going over the tracks. Besides not having an embarrassing repeat hazards performance at least I can say my hood doesn't flutter when a semi passes me going the other way on a two lane highway. Is your hood switch even connected? You'd know it if you reconnect your battery with the hood open and your finger not pressing the hood switch.......lol. Fix your hood latch too.
Hmm...Mine does not unlock the doors or set off the hazards. Nor does it do anything when I mess with the battery. It appears connected. It is not bypassed or anything. I'll have to check it out closer now.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Camel Trophy

Why? Your not missing out on anything, the truck runs. Just toss the Merc in and some 4.10's in the thirds and worry not, the AS10 is a PITA.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In addition to the inertia switch, a loose electrical connection at a connector or a skint wire grounding out could also be an issue. Shake and wiggle cables and you might also find this happening.

Quick Reply: Alarm Issue? Hit a bump, doors unlock, lights flash...!!??