Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

All windows stopped working- where are the fuses/relays?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All windows stopped working- where are the fuses/relays?

When removing a trailer brake from my 1997 D1, I arc'd the battery by accident. Result? Seats and windows work intermittently. Seats work when driver door is open, sometimes when closed. When the windows quit, they all completely quit, including from the switches on the back door. Still have power to center console, seat heater lights on switches come on, seats may work when windows won't, they both don't always quit together. I have the RAVE but no wiring diagram.

What are the fuses and relays related to the windows? Would a relay act this way? Can't find a D1 wiring diagram anywhere.

The seats I can live with, because the open door provides a work around. Not so with the windows, when they stop there is no work around. No windows is a deal breaker! and maybe the end of the road for my D1.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:26 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Electrical troubleshooting manual can be found in the link in my signature, along with many other helpful documents.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:14 AM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

It sounds like your pulling ground from your door pin I would check your grounds for corrosion first there is a ground in the passenger kick panel, also in the drivers kick panel, and as for the fuses and relays for the seats are below the drivers seat. Use the rave manual for the exact location and circuit diagram.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions, I looked at the manual, honestly electrical diagrams make me cross eyed! I will check the grounds. The trailer brake also had one of those copper push-ins in the fuse box, I assume to power something. I can't remember which fuse they had put that in, but I wonder if it didn't stretch out the holder where the fuse pin slides in.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:53 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Look at fuse 12 . Also for the multi function unit that is attached to rear of fuse panel. Small black box that when overheated melts a hole in case. They can be resoldered.
Behind glove box is the window ECU. Flea bay has them all day long for less than 40 bucks.

The following users liked this post:
Toran (04-26-2018)