Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Alternator woes - pissing me off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Look on the back, it will say Magnaelli, I spelled it wrong, but you will know once you see it, its made in Italy.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a BOSCHE one and it is making some serious noise.

What about these brands?

Allmake

Denso

Pro Line

Rebuilt from BPUTAH

Or this strange one that says w/Magneti 100 amp (bottom of page)

Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I got the alternator today. THANKS! First thing I noticed was the pulley size on the alternator i bought from you is smaller than the pulley on the BOSCHE alternator that was on my car. After I got the alternator in the car and started it... the lights went up and down as if I were hand cranking a generator. Can I change the pulleys out or what do you think? I still have SRS light and anti lock light on at the dash.

Separate issue: there is a weird burning smell coming from the area where the transmission dipstick is. I can't quite tell where the smell is. Any ideas on that. I am almost getting afraid of my baby.

THanks so much!
Jason

Old 09-08-2011, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep, will need correct size pulley. Also, many owners with the stock Italian alternator could simply change this Land Rover Discovery OEM Magneti Morelli Denso Alternator Voltage Regulato
which is the electrical innards. And based on the hassle people have, buy an aftermarket from the corner auto parts, no core, and rebuild yours with the above part, and return aftermarket for credit when it fails (won't have to wait too long).

Old 09-08-2011, 05:48 AM
4wd Low

So I can just change out the pulley from my old one and put it on the one i got from you with no problem? Also, are you saying i need to switch the voltage regulator also or am I ok with the voltage regulator on the one i bought from you? I don't want to buy another one cause I just bought the one from you. Is it hard to remove the pulley?

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

right church, wrong pew - I'm not involved in your transaction. I'm just a neutered tom cat on the fence; aka "consultant". IMHO you just need right size pulley. I posted the link to the insides of the alternator so folks could see what a piece of cake it would be to swap out.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for your excellent consulting!

what do you think is the best way to remove that pulley?

Thanks again!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

I bought a set of gear pullers from Harbor Freight cheap. But let's think about this. If the pulley is smaller, the shaft should be turning faster, like engine is revved up. So you may want to check voltage on battery with your meter before changing anything. As long as the tensioner makes up the slack you are OK, if it can't then you either change pulley or belt size. If you change belt size, always carry a spare and tape the label from the belt under the hood.

If your lights are doing wild things, the "new" alternator may not be providing a steady 13.6 - 14.2 volts, so it would be bad, or at the least need to be tested.

The pulley won't make the voltage swing wildly.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:04 AM
4wd Low

So... I changed the pulley using my impact wrench. Got the alternator back on. My antilock light went off, but the lights are still pulsing when I give it gas. It's driving. It's moving... that's progress. Or is it?

It took me a week to get that alternator here. I really don't want it to be bad.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks a mil.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:40 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tested your battery and checked your grounds?

Quick Reply: Alternator woes - pissing me off.