Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Am I going crazy or is there some trick to this brake pin?? Urgent.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Use a bigger pair of pliers, the bigger the head the better/flatter you will make the pin.
You may need to take a center punch and enlarge the big end alittle and stick the tip of the punch in there and use that to pull it out.
BAM! That was what I needed to know between your and colos suggestion I'm certain I can do this now, and the hammer trick did the job. I'm gonna put her down and walk to auto zone, buy some grease and larger pliers and get to work later tonic or tomorrow morning. Thank you so much guys, Im finally actually finishing up after these brakes and batteries Ill be able to drive the rover wherever I please.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Keep us posted.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Mudding

Sup all, first off thanks so much for evereything, when I can grt some pics tomorrow hopefully I'll throw them up.

With that said, I got the brakes done today and put in my new battery (forgot to call the dealership to get my code heh) with the help of someone here, learned a lot from them in the process and almost everything you all said he did from using the flathead and a bigger pair of pliers and even did another quick inspection of her for me for free. Definitely was glad to meet him as I may have found my mechanic out here.

But it seems the rover gods wanted to temper my ego, I went to get just a quick wash at a local place and my side blinker light (not the front one, the small one in front of the front passenger door) which was slightly loose got taken off. Any suggestions on where I can buy one, can't seem to find it on rovers north. And I won't have to open the side console by the passengers side will I? I only ask because I pushed the wire with the bulb in the bay so it wouldn't be flapping in the wind and get tom off (no damage to the wires or bulb at all, just the plastic lens).

Old 09-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.roverguy.com/

For good,inexpensive used stuff, I always call this guy first. Them lenses on the fenders have a clip on the backside,meaning you don't have to remove anything to install/remove them(they snap in and out by sliding it) hopefully you'll be able to fish the wires and connector out the hole, I don't know how to access the backside of it

Old 09-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Mudding

Thanks for that kenk, are they called the fender lens? I didn't get an answer but i left a message, hopefully they understand what I was saying, kind of hard to explain. If anyone knows the technical name I'd appreciate it, i was looking at roversnorth I thought that these might be them:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5...scovery-i.aspx

but can't really tell as mine are amber colored so I wasn't sure.

And i've been reconsidering selling this baby at the end of my two year original run i had planned. I might just have to pick up my bike liscense out here and use hat as my daily driver later down the road.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyakku
BAM! That was what I needed to know between your and colos suggestion I'm certain I can do this now, and the hammer trick did the job. I'm gonna put her down and walk to auto zone, buy some grease and larger pliers and get to work later tonic or tomorrow morning. Thank you so much guys, Im finally actually finishing up after these brakes and batteries Ill be able to drive the rover wherever I please.

Famous last words. You'll just be able to drive it wherever IT will allow you to until something else decides it's time to break.

If all else fails, cut the damn cotter pin off flush with the larger pin and yank out the stub. Electrician's use what is called Lineman's Pliers. They are a combination wire cutter and heavy duty pliers for twisting large gage wires together. A good tool to have. Heavy duty side cutter will handle large gage wire, small bolts, cotter pins and such.

If you let a cotter pin give you that big a fit, you are in for a good education from your Land Rover. And remember after all, it is not a new one, just new to you. Everything on it is what 15 years old?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 09-05-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes, them are the same thing(only clear), side marker lamp. Why they call them marker lamps when they only come on with the turn signal ???.

Roverguy is closed sundays, prob labor day monday too. If you have trouble getting ahold of him,e-mail. Usually quicker.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Famous last words. You'll just be able to drive it wherever IT will allow you to until something else decides it's time to break.

If all else fails, cut the damn cotter pin off flush with the larger pin and yank out the stub. Electrician's use what is called Lineman's Pliers. They are a combination wire cutter and heavy duty pliers for twisting large gage wires together. A good tool to have. Heavy duty side cutter will handle large gage wire, small bolts, cotter pins and such.

If you let a cotter pin give you that big a fit, you are in for a good education from your Land Rover. And remember after all, it is not a new one, just new to you. Everything on it is what 15 years old?
True, true mate. Lol I guess I should say I'm just happy to be done for now.

Although, I still havent really tackled what that strange fluctuating noise is when I release from the pedal usually in lower gears. It doesn't happen all the rme, but if i quickly accelerate to like 30mph or so, and then completely release, sometimes the engine rpms starts to drop and then around 1200-1500 fluctuates twice or so Really quick then continues to drop normally. Any advice? I was thinking of maybe cleaning the pcv valve or fuel filter, but neither one of those would explain why the car starts strong, has no accelerating issues I know of, and no significant leaks or anything. I did forget to do my spark plugs though....might look into that.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The quick RPM jump while slowing is probably you're transmission downshifting(normal)

Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tornado_735
This is why I advocate having a $4-500 beater POS car.
I second that!

Quick Reply: Am I going crazy or is there some trick to this brake pin?? Urgent.