Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

am I KO'd

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on the bright side, the blocks aluminum, so you will get some good $$$ scraping it.... and who knows... you may wind up drinking a coke from it one day.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that works, jb weld will be expecting a testimonial! Lol

Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 PM
6th Gear

I'm going for it.

I am having a friend do a little grinding and welding on the webbing, careful not to go below the piston TDC travel (you can feel a slight ring in the bore) and also not to do any damage to the steel sleeve. He's game.

Then I'm goning to take a router (yes, for woodworking) and an aluminum machining endmill and set it to zero depth. The RPM of the router is not variable, so I go nice and slow across the bead using 90% isopropyl alcohol as a coolant (won't rust my main bearings if a little drips in). I can finish with a angle grinder and polisher.

Then I'll put it all back together, change my oil, and see what I get.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Mudding

Take some pictures of the process, hopefully it all works out.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How did that happen?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by joenapier
I'm going for it.

I am having a friend do a little grinding and welding on the webbing, careful not to go below the piston TDC travel (you can feel a slight ring in the bore) and also not to do any damage to the steel sleeve. He's game.

Then I'm goning to take a router (yes, for woodworking) and an aluminum machining endmill and set it to zero depth. The RPM of the router is not variable, so I go nice and slow across the bead using 90% isopropyl alcohol as a coolant (won't rust my main bearings if a little drips in). I can finish with a angle grinder and polisher.

Then I'll put it all back together, change my oil, and see what I get.
I'd do the same. See if you can rent a Dremel with adjustable speed from a tool rental store. I think I saw one around Christmas time for about $80. (if you decide to buy one you will use the crap out of it) Do a compression check before you fire it up and you should be good to go. I've seen a lot worse get repaired with JB weld or similar and it works just fine.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
6th Gear
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
How did that happen?
I don't know. Of course the gasket was also compromised at that location, and i did drive it for a week stumbling and missing.

My advise - don't drive it like that.

The surface is a mixture of a "cracked" edge as well as worn - as if the failure was first of all a crack or chip, and then the speed of the hot gasses through the rupture wore some of the jagged edge away.

I did not find any "chips" and the pistons themselves have not marks on them at all. The crack is above TDC on the 1 and 3 cylinders so it was not a matter of the piston catching an edge.

ANYONE KNOW THE ALLOY OF THE BLOCK? 356?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it is close to swiss cheese in porosity value....

Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JB Weld. Rover guy I know blew a main bearing cap through the side of the block on a 4.2L Rover V8 and JB welded the hole.

Hell, I patched the hole in the side of the transmission of my 2001 DII with JB weld.