Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Another VSS question....and a random

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another VSS question....and a random

I know there is probably 50 threads out there talking about VSS, but I gotta do it again. Im pretty sure (after reading most of the 50 threads i mentioned) that my problem is VSS, my question is if there is a GOOD way of testing/checking mine before i order a $180 part?

Then my random problem is i am getting water in my headliner after a rain. Its coming for the "hump" end in the back. I had the back sunroof disabled and sealed (thoroughly sealed) last year after the track broke, so its not that. Where would yall look next?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Likes on 81 Posts

Alpine windows.

If you have test equipment, here is what the RAVE says about the VSS:

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (X190) sends a signal to
the speedometer in the form of voltage pulses. The
pulses are filtered by a Vehicle Speed Sensor Buffer
inside the speedometer. The voltage alternates
between battery voltage and 0 volts 6 times per
wheel revolution. The speed sensor signal is also
sent to the Cruise Control ECU (Z121), Multifunction
Unit (MFU) (Z148) (Persian Gulf States), and the

Engine Control Module (Z132)

You would be able to see those pulses when truck jacked up and wheels turned, 12 volts or zero volts, If you have a code scanner, this is what drives the vehicle speed on that, so another place you can look. However, if it is just flakey, might show up as a signal on the scanner. Problem begins when it starts sending too many pulses. Then the ECU believes you are on the Autobahn endangering the the alarm system and heater core, and it starts shutting down fuel and spark (limiter).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 vss1.pdf (20.9 KB, 392 views)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Overlanding

Ok, well, no one may care or ever read this at this point but I told myself that I would post the solutions to the problems I bring to you all for your suggestions. Like alot of threads about VSS my issues were the same......it would run fine for the first 15 - 30 miles, but eventually at some point it begin to stall. The best way I can descibe it is like it had a governor set at 50-55mph. And once it started at 50-55 it would eventually lose power until I was maintaining about 35mph. Best guesses I got from most people were VSS or fuel pump (both are pricey), but had fuel pressure checked so I ordered VSS. It took me 10min to replace it (very simple), and now my it runs fine.
Hope this helps somebody.....I know alot of you guys have helped me.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its always helpful when folks come back with solutions in threads where they were having issues, actually makes the search archives a usefeul thing! :P

Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Drifting

WARNING......Hi-jack in progress.....WARNING
OK, here are my symptoms;
1. on a trip from Ky back home to Ohio (a few months ago) the truck at colder engine temps would stutter.
2. rough idle continuing stutter/check eng light(replaced spark plugs)
3. had the Advance Auto read the OBD and P0125, ordered and replaced then "cold H2O sensor" still stuttering when cold (its winter here in Ohio now)
4. installed Ultra Gage, cleared code, code came back cleared it again, cleared it again
5. I have the UG monitoring veh speed. Two days ago while driving back form a 120 mile trip the UG excessive speed alarm (I have it set at 71 MPH). The truck's speedo was at 69 mph the UG was tripping and showing 71 then 75 then resets. The UG speedo was bouncing all over the place ranging 10-20 variants of speed. The alarm would trip then reset but went off about a dozen times. Today on another 120 mile trip, the speed alarm went off the truck immediately acted as if it was slowing (like being on a rev limiter) and the UG alarm trip showing 107 MPH.

During all these events with the alarm the truck's speedo never indicated an issue.

I am thinking Speed Sensor. Am I off my rocker or am I right.

Last edited by sochuck; 12-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You sound like you are on the right track.
If you unplug the VSS and drive and it runs fine than its def a VSS problem.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Minei wacky too. My UG will sometimes show 20MPH faster or more.

Why the ef are these so damn expensive!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Because they are no longer being made, supply and demand, if you wait long enough they will be all but free because all of the DI's will be Pepsi cans.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Because they are no longer being made, supply and demand, if you wait long enough they will be all but free because all of the DI's will be Pepsi cans.
very sad now.....I'm a Coke fan

Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Not as long as there are people such as we to keep them going!

Quick Reply: Another VSS question....and a random