Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

anti lock brake light

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010 | 04:35 PM
Team Owner

I have a bad ABS sensor so I pulled the fuse.

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:09 PM
Camel Trophy

how do you know it is bad?

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Looks like I gotta take my dash apart again to replace the ABS light bulb I pulled out. LOL!!!

Old 09-08-2010 | 02:56 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
On the front, they are on the top of the swivel ball. On the rear, they go in from the sides.

I really don't know why that .pdf isn't in the tech section. Took me 20 minutes to download 14 codes, and now I have abs. No light....after 5 years. Took out to a gravel road to test. works perfectly. After 5 years of no abs because I didn't want to take it to the dealer and spend $100 to have them cleared.

I would like to thank jbriggs for posting that. I have seen it before, but never explained on OBD2 systems. That was soooooo freaking easy. I feel stupid for not having done it before. I could have used ABS on the snow several times.. Thanks dude!!!!!
I just read and cleared all of my ABS codes.
No problem, thats the great thing about this forum is the amount of information that is on here that is shared. It's the only reason my Disco is still running. That method was stupid simple. It only took me about 5 minutes to shoot down a front sensor. Then I swapped the sensor to see if it would follow it and it did. Without that method I never would have been able to do that. Right now I have my fuse pulled because the sensor is about $280 so I need to wait until I save some money and get time to replace it. I need to do it before the snow flies which isn't too far off up here in Alaska. I like ABS in the snow also. I'll put that in the tech section also, its great information for the DIY'er.

Old 09-08-2010 | 07:39 AM
Camel Trophy

fo sho> It is stupid easy and will tell you what is wrong without paying a dealer. Cant believe I havent seen this yet..

Old 09-08-2010 | 06:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
how do you know it is bad?
Because my truck came with a repair list from the dealer in NJ in the glove box when I bought it.

Old 09-09-2010 | 08:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Talking Anti-Lock Light

I finally got my Anti-Lock light to go out too after a couple of years of living with it and squeaking through inspections. First it would come on after a slight bump, then it just came on and wouldn't go off. I used the 5-15 pin blink routine and it told me I had a bad right rear sensor. So I cleaned and tapped them all in and I still had a bad right rear sensor. I checked the rear sensors with an ohm meter, and sure enough the right rear was bad. BTW, it looked like the cable had been stretched due to the way it was installed. Believe it or not, I picked up a used rear sensor pair - they usually come together - for $20 off fleaBay and voila ! no more light. I think it's been flakey for the last 5 years or so. I was afraid this would require a major kick in the wallet. Also, if you do this (rears anyway) it's easier to do them both than just one since the cables go through a single plastic sheath-thing for much of their length. The diagnostic saved my a$$.

Old 09-09-2010 | 09:30 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Spike555
Because my truck came with a repair list from the dealer in NJ in the glove box when I bought it.
If I remember correctly, you were running with bad seals in the front and slinging oil out? I would suggest you clean everything, reseat the sensor, an read/clear the codes. It is really easy, and when you are going down a steep, slippery embankment, it is nice to have it. I wouldn't trust a dealer diagnosis...

I may re-write a tech to sticky..

Old 09-09-2010 | 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Gonna tap my sensors back in and see what that does.

Old 09-09-2010 | 11:33 AM
Camel Trophy

You may have to do it a few times. I had to pull the jumper about 13 times to clear all of the codes. There were a ton.

Quick Reply: anti lock brake light