Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas?

Been driving my rover all summer in Houston with no issues, the day before I leave to go back to Indiana this starts happening:

Engine knock - YouTube

Its been about 50 miles since I did the oil change, 15w-40 Rotella with M-301 filter, but I don't see how this could be causing any issue. I drove it around earlier today, parked it for about an hour, went out to move it and thats when the sound started. No oil or check engine light.

My summer lease is up tomorrow so if theres nothing I can do by then I'll be selling it for whatever I can and buying a plane ticket back to school. If I had more time I would tear it apart but at this point I'm hoping there is something obvious I can fix. In the meantime I'll keep looking through the forums to see if there is anything that I can try that could help.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Mudding

well i hope its not this but it sounds like you spun a bearing on your crank shaft.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Overlanding

Well I drove it to the parts store and the noise was gone, if it was a spun bearing I don't think it would be possible for it to go away. It probably wouldn't have even made it out of the parking lot...

I don't know if it makes a difference but I was using 10w-40 before but I don't see how a heavier oil would cause this.

At this point I have two options:
- Drive it to IN with my fingers crossed, I've got AAA so if I broke down I'd get towed to the nearest town, take the crap I can and sell the stuff I can't with the rover and buy a plane ticket
- Sell it here, along with whatever I can't ship, and fly

At least with the first option I have a chance of keeping my stuff...

Old 08-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine sounded very similar, but not as loud. It turned out to be the alternator bearings. I had no other alternator symptoms. I bought a mechanics stethoscope for around $10. Good luck.

Edit: I may have jumped the gun, I rewatched/listened to the vid I took of my issue. Mine was higher pitched and faster.

Last edited by bcbp; 08-11-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it the original oil pump?

They have been known to basically crack around the pump element.

I would give it a try, carry extra oil, maybe throw in an additive like STP or somwthing. Or even use straight 30w or 40w, what do you have to lose at this point.
Lots of people use 20w50 Castrol GTX.
Can you put an oil meter on and check oil PSI?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Listen with a stick or stethoscope for more noises, slip belt off to be sure it is not something under the belt.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Overlanding

Unfortunately I won't have time to check PSI, funny thing is I was going to install a permanent gauge this summer but decided to wait until I got back home...

I was actually thinking about going back to the 10w-40, as this is the only thing that has changed from yesterday to today. Another reason I think it may be an oil issue is that it is only there at idle. If it is reved up the knock goes away. Maybe the pump is having to work harder with the thicker oil, and if it's on its last leg this could be too much for it to handle?

Old 08-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Overlanding

Just ran it with the belt off, noise was still there. Used a screw driver to listen in a few different spots, seemed to be loudest on the LH valve cover, no noise when listening on the oil pan, some noise when listening on the center of the plenum. Thinking maybe the top end isn't getting enough love from the oil

Old 08-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Change filter (first). The 10W vs 15W is not making the difference, the oil heats up and is 40W. Try this filter, Purolator L40316. It is a jumbo filter, holds more oil, and has lower loss media inside. It has been shown to increase oil PSI in write ups by working pro shop mechanics. Changing oil every 5000 miles and filter is a good idea of course. Your oil light should go out in just a few seconds at start up, if not, you could also have a restricted oil cooler, or pickup screen is fuzzed up, pickup tube O-ring shot (sucking wind), etc. These impact the suction side of the pump system. If you don't have time for a pressure test you don't have time to drop oil pan.

Pix shows rocker arms at 190K with Castrol and Rotella, good oil change schedule; and some that "skipped it" this month.

BTW, I have had the pleasure of working for a Civil PE for the last ten years (geotech) who is a Boilermaker, and they turn out some smart dudes. Soak up all you can.

Attached Thumbnails Any ideas?-modp_1011_02_o-ilsac_gf5_motor_oil_standard-sludge_buildup.jpg   Any ideas?-eng-1a.jpg   Any ideas?-100_0313.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-12-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Mudding

the only reason i say its a spun bearing is because my dad's jeep just did that same thing. ever now and again it would get in a the sweet spot and would only make the noise at an idle then sometimes it would be loud no matter what. that sounds int he video sounds exactly the same.

Quick Reply: Any ideas?