Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Anybody tried putting HHO on a Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 01:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by notny41
Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks for contributing garbage to this post.
I'll enlighten you, even though you're being an ***

the energy to split the h20 molecule is generated by the alternator. The alternator is inefficient in that it puts out heat and is also spinning mass that doesn't contribute to the electrical power supply.

The splitting of the h20 molecule in this case is an energy reservoir at best, you don't get any more energy out of it during combustion than you put in to it. It also heats up during this process so you have efficiency losses.

So you take that fraction of a fraction of energy that you've dumped into generating hydrogen and combust it. You make heat in the process. More energy loss.

If you can eliminate the losses from mass and heat it would be a net gain of 0, and that's the thermodynamic definition of a perpetual motion machine

The following 2 users liked this post by robertf:
Crisis In My Nomex (04-28-2017), Thack (08-08-2019)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:20 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Before you accuse me of being an ***, tell me that you have actually had hands-on experience with this. You make it sound like all the energy that the alternator makes is being consumed by the car's electronics. The alternator produces much more energy that can be used when operating a car my friend - which is why the voltage regulator exists. Your explanation lends no credibility to your negative claims you are so quick to blabber. Unless you have actually tried this, I would classify you as being the *** for so quickly dismissing something that could actually make a positive contribution to our society without even attempting to make it work.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Rock Crawling

That's not how an alternator works

Old 04-28-2017, 11:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's even simpler if you think of the process in reverse.

O and H combust. The result is H2O and heat. The only way to turn the H2O back into H and O, is to put all the heat back into it. Assuming 100% efficiency, you're left with zero net energy at best.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:08 AM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok, I give up. I'm actually sorry that I even asked the question if anyone has tried it, getting mostly ignoramus hypotheses for responses. Thanks to Racer X and jimvw57 for actually contributing to this thread. All others: I never asked for opinions, guesses, or any kind of fictitious "enlightenments". Apparently many people don't know how to read, or have a hard time understanding a simple question.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

I glance through this site occasionally, bought a few items in the past, mostly in kit form as I enjoy building stuff.

https://hydrogengarage.com/store/

Ignore the nay sayers, they are just repeating what has been forced down their throats as the truth. best way is to give it a try.

one of my first attempts at generating HHO --crude design

testing to see if we got the good stuff stored in a plastic bag...

Last edited by jimvw57; 04-30-2017 at 03:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
notny41 (04-30-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made one for a carbureted VW Beetle a while back. I saw good gains in mileage, from about 23 to about 28 (I'll explain how this can happen without breaking the first law of thermodynamics in a minute.) HOWEVER, the practical process of constant adjustments made it unbearably difficult to have on any daily driver. For fuel injected vehicles like the Rover, I would not attempt it. The possibility of running lean and killing valves is too much a possibility.

As for all the rhetoric around it not being possible because of the law of conservation of energy, remember that heat engines that convert gasoline energy to MOTION are incredibly inefficient (between 1% and 30%, maybe higher with the latest technologies.) At highway speed, a combustion chamber has between 4 and 7 milliseconds to expand, push, cool (by excess fuel evaporation) and exit the valve. Addition of a fast burning fuel like hydrogen simply acts like kindling on a wood pile, by helping break the hydrocarbon chains in that very short amount of time. The gains in efficiency can overcome the losses for a net gain. Again, I personally found the constant adjustments to timing (the only way to actually realize those gains) unrealistic.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Was the vw one of those ~7:1 CR engines? I could see increasing the flame propagation speed being beneficial in that scenario, but not so much at 9.35:1 where high octane is "required" by the manufacturer.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:59 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This dude put HHO on his 4.6L V8 Bosch
He also has an inline thermostat and a scangauge 2 - he demonstrates MPG in the 20-25mpg range
He has a whole channel of LR discovery videos
- in a future video from the one below he also reports it allowed him to switch to regular fuel from premium fuel(!!)

I would love for a group of us to do this together. He's on instagram: @Britishrepairs

HHO shown

Skip to 5:30mins in, talks about fuel

Old 03-30-2021, 11:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

If you want some interesting reading, look up Stanley Meyer and look into his HHO work. After his workshop mysteriously burned to the ground, destroying his records and the car he drove across te country on just a hydrogen generator and water. He made a statement that his findings were incorrect, and he and his family vanished. .

Quick Reply: Anybody tried putting HHO on a Disco?