Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

anyone have info on the Magnuson Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everything from the headers back is custom exhuast. the only way those headers will work.

the exhuast shop used a magnaflow 2-1 muffler in the middle cause it was easy and clean.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And like NGA said, you still got the other issues like the weak driveline member (spider gear).

And I still believe that if you want to go with superchargers and other badass high Horsepower, Chevy or Dodge make a lot more sense than beefing up a LR motor.

But like you pointed out, it is your LR, do with it as you so desire, you ignorant ****..........................

(in case you don't know, think Saturday Night Live when Dan Akroyd would say "Jane, you ignorant ****" to Jane Curtain, his news cohost)

Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear
Default Thanks for the info!

I appreciate your help and the useful info. Cheers.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
And like NGA said, you still got the other issues like the weak driveline member (spider gear).

And I still believe that if you want to go with superchargers and other badass high Horsepower, Chevy or Dodge make a lot more sense than beefing up a LR motor.

But like you pointed out, it is your LR, do with it as you so desire, you ignorant ****..........................

(in case you don't know, think Saturday Night Live when Dan Akroyd would say "Jane, you ignorant ****" to Jane Curtain, his news cohost)
LOL...I know that scene from SNL...Dan Akroyd is a good classic canadian comedian.

As far as big power, even supercharged it the rover v8 wont set anything on fire, 1 the m90 is small, 2 I bet (dont know forsure untill I install it) that max boost is 5-6 psi....which really isnt much...I expect about 50hp and 50 ft-lbs. I think it will def make it more peppy...but not running on the brink of exploding....Also I plan to instal water/meth injection. A 50/50 mix will provide excellent cooling, a boost in octane, and the misting action will keep everything clean internally. so good modest power and safety..

it will be fun once i get it on there and set-up properly...I think it will make it a good daily machine with good useable power. A 4.6 with merlin heads, a 270 cam, and some management tweaking will make 300hp...which rpi has done. a 4.6 w/ stock heads and cam, supercharged and some managment tweaks I bet would make around the same but more torque. Im just not sure yet if I;m going to stay with the 4.0 or go 4.6 with the supercharger....I guess I'll find out when I reach that point.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by instg8r
everything from the headers back is custom exhuast. the only way those headers will work.

the exhuast shop used a magnaflow 2-1 muffler in the middle cause it was easy and clean.
x2, same on my rig. all new pipe, (2.75 inch I believe) to duel high flow magniflow cats, to a flow master 40 muffler. With the o2 sensors in the headers and fitted behind the cats.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by instg8r
LOL...I know that scene from SNL...Dan Akroyd is a good classic canadian comedian.

As far as big power, even supercharged it the rover v8 wont set anything on fire, 1 the m90 is small, 2 I bet (dont know forsure untill I install it) that max boost is 5-6 psi....which really isnt much...I expect about 50hp and 50 ft-lbs. I think it will def make it more peppy...but not running on the brink of exploding....Also I plan to instal water/meth injection. A 50/50 mix will provide excellent cooling, a boost in octane, and the misting action will keep everything clean internally. so good modest power and safety..

it will be fun once i get it on there and set-up properly...I think it will make it a good daily machine with good useable power. A 4.6 with merlin heads, a 270 cam, and some management tweaking will make 300hp...which rpi has done. a 4.6 w/ stock heads and cam, supercharged and some managment tweaks I bet would make around the same but more torque. Im just not sure yet if I;m going to stay with the 4.0 or go 4.6 with the supercharger....I guess I'll find out when I reach that point.
Did you see this video I took of my 96 a couple weeks ago? This is STOCK... Just the headers and mufflers... But original engine etc.... Not sure it would even need anything else at this point....

YouTube - 96 discovery FIXED!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:41 AM
Mudding

well done! she looks like shes running like a top.

I was very pleased with the power increase when i did the headers and exhuast, but I was more pleased with the respose the engine has now.

i'll have a better comparison when I get the m90 in there

Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting read. If you do decide to go with the meth injection, be careful. They're know to fail a lot. I had one on my turboed s2000. It crapped out on and me would not stop spraying. I also know people who have had problems with it not spraying when it should. If your just using it as a safety measure and not having the truck tuned with it, it shouldn't matter.

While I was running the meth injection I was running 100 oct. The meth injection made it seem like I was running 103-105 oct. Once I started to have problems with the meth injection kit I got rid of it and retuned on 110 oct. Look into the AEM meth injection kit. It is too bad AEM does not make an ecu for Land Rovers. The AEM EMS was an amazing computer.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I certainly wish you the best of luck with it. My Discovery improved in performance with every little thing I did but that was all pretty much normal upkeep like new plugs and wires (the ProLine from RN for 50 bucks), new LR paper air filter, even the latest oil change (MaxLife) smoothed it out and it runs quieter and is very responsive compared to when I first got it.

I had previously owned one of the last full sized (1996) Bronco's with a 351 that was totally awesome as far as power. I used it as my long distance weekly commuter while doing consulting work. But I averaged 1000 miles a week in it and it went thru front tires like they were candy and it had the push button automatic locking hubs which were a royal pain. To disengage them you had to stop and change direction for at least 20 feet, so if you engaged them on the highway for snow or whatever, when you disengaged , you had to pull over and back up which I really hated. Plus it would just destoy the front hubs without warning and they were rather expensive. It rusted so badly in just three years, I ended up trading it for a 1986 MB420SEL because i was sick of expensive repairs.

I will settle for the LR engine stock as long as it is running good.

Have fun with yours, I certainly enjoy mine.